5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 5:38 PM by denandbinky

Error 1326 while installing Reader 9

TheTooleMan
      I have tried numerous times to install Acrobat Reader 9 on Windows Vista Home Premium. Every time, it fails. Version 8 is installed now. When automatic updates try to upgrade version 8, that also fails.

Here is the error message I receive during installation, with about 3 seconds remaining in the installation process:

Error 1326. Error getting file security: C:\Users\my name\appdata\local\adobe\acrobat\8.0\

GetLastError: 5

What do I need to do to get beyond this barrier?
        • 1. Re: Error 1326 while installing Reader 9
          i have simiular problem..i get the message: Error 1327. Invalid Drive: f:\ i can't even erase my ar8.1.0 there's allways an issue with this stupid drive f!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
          • 2. Re: Error 1326 while installing Reader 9
            TheTooleMan Level 1
            Is this message board just a place to *****, or does anyone from Adobe actually monitor it and try to help? I looked for answers before posting, and found numerous threads with people piling on their complaints - some more relevant to the thread than others - but a lot left dangling with no solution.
            • 3. Re: Error 1326 while installing Reader 9
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >Is this message board just a place to *****, or does anyone from Adobe actually monitor it and try to help?

They seldom come in here. As stated, this is a User to User forum. They may make an appearance once in a while but that's unusual.

>I looked for answers before posting, and found numerous threads with people piling on their complaints - some more relevant to the thread than others - but a lot left dangling with no solution.

Most of the threads I know about with this issue suggest running the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility to remove traces of Reader then trying a reinstall. That works 90% of the time. Have you tried it?
              • 4. Re: Error 1326 while installing Reader 9
                denandbinky Level 1

I am equally frustrated with Reader 9 as it seems to constantly clash with Vista and will not run on my computer.  I used the Windows Install Cleanup as suggested by another user, as I couldn't uninstall my partially corrupt, non working Reader 9 programme.  After a couple of attempts I was able to uninstall correctly.  I then re-booted and downloaded Reader 8.1 and it is finally working.  Thank you to others for their information.

I guess the problems stem from Vista as there seem to be so many programme corruptions going on with this.  We didn't want to buy Vista but seemed to have no option as they are sold as standard.  Automatic programme updates cause most of the problems, so disable them if you can.

Since we got our new computer we have had to re-load our printer drivers and software so many times, as Vista keeps corrupting everything - arrrgh!

• 5. Re: Error 1326 while installing Reader 9
                  MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Make sure you have UAC turned off. When running and/or installing Reader and its upgrades.