9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 2:43 PM by GeorgeAusNSW2223

invalid F drive

can anybody help me? i'm pretty new with this pc/ internet thing. and for some time i've tried to install ar9 but it doesnt work.. message pops up telling me i have a invalid F drive! i have an acer aspire 5601z laptop and it has(as far as i know)all the necessary software i need to install ar9..
        • 1. Re: invalid F drive
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          What is your OS? What version of Reader are you trying to install? Whas
          Reader ever on this computer before? Do you have an F driver?

Mike
          • 2. Re: invalid F drive
            Level 1
            Sorry but what is an OS? I've tried to install AR 9 and yes there was an AR 7 when i bought it. No i don't have an F drive.. not that i know. i mean i got my C & D drives, 4 usb-ports and a memorycard reader.. my guess is one of usb ports must the F drive, but i really don't know. when i install or uninstall, or even use my AR i get this message:

ERROR 1327. INVALID DRIVE: F:\
            • 3. Re: invalid F drive
              MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Your OS is Operating System. I think you need to go to the Microsoft
              Website and find the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool. Use it to remove
              all traces or earlier versions of Reader from the Windows Registry. You
              should then be able to install Reader again.

Mike
              • 4. Re: invalid F drive
                Level 1
                Ok I'll try it. Thanks.

Patrick
                • 5. Re: invalid F drive
                  Level 1
                  I just tred what you suggested and it didn't work :( I installed the cleanup tool, removed the AR and installed the AR 9. But the F drive is still invalid.. but then again. I don't know which traces it has left or what else to look for.
                  • 6. Re: invalid F drive
                    GeorgeAusNSW2223

I have the same problem "invalid F drive".  Did you solve it?

• 7. Re: invalid F drive
                      Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Could you please check the values of the mentioned registry keys using the below steps:

1. If you are on Win XP -> Click on Start Menu and click on Run. in the dialog box that pops up type in regedit and hit enter.

If you are on Win 7 -> Click on Start and type regedit and hit enter.

2. Traverse to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Once there, see the entries on the Right Side and see if you can see any entry with the Data value starting with F:\

3. Repeat the above for the following registry as well:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

If thats the case, then try and see if the following MS KB article helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

If not, then it may be a case wherein you had attached some external drive on your system which when removed didnt unmount cleanly.

• 8. Re: invalid F drive
                        GeorgeAusNSW2223 Level 1

Thanks Ankit.  I finally solved the problem, by subst f: c:\windows.  That did not work at first, but did after I went into Dos prompt as "administrator".

• 9. Re: invalid F drive
                          GeorgeAusNSW2223 Level 1

Thanks Ankit.  I finally solved the problem, by going into Dos prompt and typing "subst f: c:\windows".  That did not work at first, but did after I went into Dos prompt as "administrator". George

George Carrard

22 Lansdowne Pde

OATLEY  2223

Ph 02 9579 3020

or, if no answer, try  041 27 044 26

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist." -  attributed to economist Kenneth Boulding