2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2010 10:20 AM by WilliamD_

Adobe Reader & Outlook 2003/2007 send to email

I have multiple Windows XP users experiencing this problem when trying to send and PDF file through email.

Adobe-File-send through email.
      Adobe and the email gets locked up with the following error message:

"Microsoft Office Outlook, The operation failed due to network or other communication problems. Check your connections and try again."

It seems that if the users send the email within 30 seconds the email sends ok but if the wait past 30 - 60 seconds thats when the above error occurs.

Microsoft said this an adobe issue and Adobe said they had the fix for Acrobat users to upgrade to version 9 but when I told them I'm using Adobe reader 9 and I have the same problem they told me adobe reader users have to use the forums for support.???

Has anybody seen this before and have you found a workaround?
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader & Outlook 2003/2007 send to email
          camposlawoffice

I am having the EXACT same problem. So far, I haven't been able to locate a work-around.

Every time I try to send an email from within adobe 9, it works just fine as long as I hit the send button within thirty seconds or so. If it takes any longer than that to compose the body of the email, I get a message that a network communication error has occurred, and everything freezes for a good five minutes or so. I have to shut down Outlook and Adobe through the task manager. This glitch is a huge pain, and I am irritated that Adobe is referring people to the forums for technical support.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader & Outlook 2003/2007 send to email
            WilliamD_ Level 1

I have been seeing this off and on. It is rarely consistent and I have been waiting to find a PC that could reproduce this. I finally got one and was able to reproduce the issue about a dozen times back to back, often when the message has been open for a couple minutes. I have been using Windows Debug tools to isolate the culprit and capture a dmp file to analyze. In each instance of the problem a hang is produced after clicking OK to the message. This is where I have been starting the capture. In our case all the dumps of outlook.exe show the culprit as being valkyrie.dll, an add-in associated with Symantec Enterprise Vault. After disabling the add-in, the issue could not be reproduced. I am not 100% convinced though. I would like to know if other dumps outside of our environment point to the same culprit.

To capture a dmp file you will need to install the debugging tools for windows from Microsoft. Once installed, go into the folder where it is installed (C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86) by default) and run adplus.vbs. Dont worry about the details now, just click OK or Yes to the prompts. You will use adplus from the command line when the issue happens. To do this:

1. Create the problem and click OK to the "The operation failed due to network or other communication problems. Check your connections and try again". Outlook should become unresponsive/hung up.
            2. Open command window (Start>Run and type cmd).
            3. Navigate to the folder where the debugging tools were installed (cd c:\program files\debugginf tools for windows (x86))
            4. Create a dmp file by running the following: adplus -hang -pn outlook.exe(-hang will tell adplus that a there is a hung application you wish to dump and -pn specifies the process name)
            5. A dialog box will indicate that a folder has been created in the windows debugging folder. It will be named something like Hang_Mode__Date_... The date and time will correspond to the date and time of when the dump took place. Go into this folder and verify there is a .dmp file. The name of the file corresponds to the process ID of the process, the process name, and date and time. The file can be fairly large since it consists of a memory dump.
            6. To analyze this file, open Windbg from the exe or from Start>Programs>Debugging Tools for Windows>WinDbg.
            7. Go to File>Open Crash Dump and locate the file above.
            8. Dont worry about all the jiberish you initially see. In the empty line at the bottom run the following command: !analyze -v. While the file is being analyzed, the status message will say BUSY. Dont worry about the "Error: Symbol file could not be found..."
            9. Look for the FAULTING_MODULE and MODULE_NAME. In our case the culprit this was ntdll and Valkyrie. As mentioned above, Valkyrie.dll is associated with the Symantec Enterprise add-in and this is what we are currently looking at with Symantec.

This is an example of the dump:

AnalyzeDump.PNG

I would be interested to know what results you have found.