7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 9:26 PM by pwillener

Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9

edit4jj
      Hi, can anybody help me? My son messed with the registry in XP Pro SP3 and deleted my Acrobat Reader. I tried to reinstall it using everything I read but no luck. Here are the two Errors I get:
      Error 1401.Could not create key \.fdf\AcroExch.FDFDoc\ShellNew. System error
      and
      Error 1402.Could not open key: UNKNOWN\.fdf. System error 5
      I checked and made sure the reg-key had full permission etc. NO LUCK.
      What did my son delete??? Can I recreate the proper Registry Key or Keys?
      Thank you, I need Help, cannot read any .pdf files anymore????????
      JJ
        • 1. Re: Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Download and run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and get rid of any traces of Reader. Reinstall Reader.
          • 2. Re: Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9
            pwillener Level 8
            If the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility does not help (although it should), try a System Restore to a date before your son played with the registry.
            • 3. Re: Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9
              edit4jj Level 1
              thanx to U both, here the status trying cleaning!!!

Run-time error '-2147024882 (8007000e)':
              System Error &H80004005 (-2147467259). Unspecified error

-I just don't know what my kid deleted?-
              I ran the cleaner anyway and after two try's two Adobe setup entries where deleted. BUT trying to install, I now get these Errors:

Error 1401.Could not create key
              \.xfdf\AcroExch.XFDFDoc\ShellNew

Error 1402.Could not open key: UNKNOWN\.xfdf.

Help Please
              and thanxs for trying graffiti and Pat, I'll try it all!
              HELP
              HELP PLEASE THANX
              • 4. Re: Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9
                pwillener Level 8
                The Windows Installer Cleanup tool must run successfully before you can reinstall Adobe Reader. But sorry, I don't know what the above runtime errors mean.

I will try to find some more information on these error codes tomorrow; I am leaving here in a few minutes.

In the meantime, can you check your system for malware? E.g. and online scan with http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
                • 5. Re: Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9
                  pwillener Level 8
                  Regarding the run-time error you are getting, there are several possibilities - basically it means there is not enough memory available. So make sure that nothing else is running when you try the Windows Installer Cleanup tool again.

If the error persists, see this page http://www.theswansons.com/tom/technotes/windows/trbl_nt_rte8007000e.htm

How to make the recommended change, see this page http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/fixing-the-event-log-is-full-error-on-windows-xp/

Please report back how it is going.
                  • 6. Re: Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9
                    edit4jj Level 1
                    Hi Pat,
                    now that I have worked out the Win-Cleanup the Problem is still there. I tried an earlier backup but no luck. I also made sure that in the Registry all the rights where given. Here the Errors:
                    Error 1401.Could not create key
                    \.xfdf\AcroExch.XFDFDoc\ShellNew
                    and after I click Ignore:
                    Could not open key: UNKNOWN\.xfdf
                    Can't install the Reader and still can't read any pdf file or see pages on the Net???
                    thanks, JJ
                    • 7. Re: Acrobat Reader cannot be installed???  Version 4-9
                      pwillener Level 8
                      How comfortable are you with registry editing? Can you check if that key ( .xfdf\AcroExch.XFDFDoc\ShellNew) exists in
                      *HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
                      *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes

If any of these are missing (likely), can you create them manually, then try the installation again?

I strongly urge you to make a complete registry backup before doing any registry editing; use a tool like ERUNT (from http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ ).