4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 1:30 PM by (sbob)

input user password with AR?

(Stefan_Kärst)
      Hi,

I've read http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrfaq.html and other sources regarding commenting PDFs with the Acrobat Reader.

There are tools out there to encrypt a pdf-file and set a user password. If I do this the document security shows, that it is possible to add comments to the document (with the user password).
      But how do I enter the user password with AR? If a master password is set, a popup windows appears after opening the document, but what is the user password good for?
      There is a plugin in my AR9.0 which is for commenting PDFs.

greetings from germany
      Stefan K.
        • 1. Re: input user password with AR?
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          There are a permission password and a open password. Owners of the permission password can change the security settings. Owners of the open password can open the PDF document.
          • 2. Re: input user password with AR?
            (Stefan_Kärst) Level 1
            Hi,

thanks Bernd,

"There are a permission password and a open password."
            ok

"Owners of the open password can open the PDF document."
            ok

"Owners of the permission password can change the security settings."
            ok, but
            - changing the permissions requires Adobe Acrobat, right? not the AReader?
            - why are the document properties different in the document properties screen in AR?
            see: http://users.minet.uni-jena.de/~zsk/pdfs/StundenplanAR813.png

this suggests that the permission password (user password?) is for protecting the document properties, which are listet there - not - for protecting the change of the security settings.

- why are the document properties(*) different when opening the same document via Adobe Acrobat?
            see: http://users.minet.uni-jena.de/~zsk/pdfs/StundenplanA812std.png

(*) this looks like the so called document properties are not properties of the document but properties of the adobe appl. I use to open it.

this is all really confusing.

Here is my questiong again: Is it possible to add comments to a document via AR if it has a user password? -> (why does the document security window in StundenplanAR813.png show a Commenting: Allowed?? and why does a Addon in AR exisist that is called Comments??)

greetings
            Stefan K.
            • 3. Re: input user password with AR?
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              > changing the permissions requires Adobe Acrobat, right? not the AReader?

Yes, Adobe Reader can't change permissions.

You see different security settings in Reader and Acrobat because Acrobat can more than Reader.

> Is it possible to add comments to a document via AR if it has a user password?

The user doesn't need a password. When the document was enabled for Commenting in Adobe Reader a user can add comments. In Adobe Acrobat Professional you can assign the usage rights to the PDF document. Use menu Comments > Enable for Commenting and Analysis in Adobe Reader...
              • 4. Re: input user password with AR?
                You can save comments and form data with Foxit (which is free and smaller than Adobe)