12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2009 5:03 AM by (William_Wilborn)

Installing Adobe Reader 9.0

I get the message "Setup has detected that you already have a more functional product installed." I have run Windows Installer Cleanup, removed previous versions of Adobe reader and checked the registry for any references. I cannot install Reader 8.0 or 9.0. Help!
        • 1. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
          pwillener Level 8
          "A more functional product" - could that mean you have Acrobat, or another "more functional product" from Adobe installed?
          • 2. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
            Level 1
            I have Acrobat.com, Adobe AIR, Adobe Flash Player 9 and 10 installed. I have attempted to remove Acrobat.com and AIR, but they reinstall themselves, or get installed when I try to install Reader 9.0.
            • 3. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
              pwillener Level 8
              If you don't use Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR, uninstall them, then download and install Adobe Reader from this link http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe - I believe that this does not contain these two components.
              • 4. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                Level 1
                I removed the software and checked for any Acrobat or Adobe entries in the registry. I found one and removed it, but it still has the same problem.
                • 5. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                  pwillener Level 8
                  Can you check with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility if there are any other Adobe products installed that could possibly conflict with Reader? (You can ignore Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave player.)
                  • 6. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                    Level 1
                    I seem to have the same problem. I have run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and removed the files of Adobe. However i cannot install version 8.12 or version 9 - the message of 'acroread.msi' is missing and i cannot finish installing.

However i cannot install version 8 either because it says that there is a newer version installed but yet i cannot find any trace of that installed version.

I cannot get Adobe to work at all.
                    • 7. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                      Level 1
                      Thank you Pat for you assistance. With some fear of exposing myself to ridicule, or at least providing a laugh to some out there, I need to explain what happened. I have been in the IT world since the early 60's,I actually had an ARPANet account. With a long background in computers I tend to accept instructions on problem fixing literally. I made a rookie mistake by taking instructions too literally.
                      The program msicuu.exe is not the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, it is the installer for the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I had assumed for some time that when I ran msicuu.exe it installed and ran the cleanup utility. It finally dawned on me today that it was not running the cleanup, only installing it. When I actually ran the Windows Install Cleanup from the Start Menu it cleared the problem.
                      I hope this is some help to any others that made the same mistake.
                      • 8. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                        pwillener Level 8
                        William,

Thank you for the clarification; I'm sure it might help others. It actually might help the regulars here to give out more precise instructions.

And we are certainly not in the habit of laughing at people giving valuable feedback.
                        • 9. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                          Level 1
                          Is there a solution to my problem out there? I have ran the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and removed all traces all adobe - all, and still i cannot install any version!
                          • 10. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                            Level 1
                            I had to run a full Windows Installer Cleanup from the start window. That forced me to reload Microsoft Office and SmartFTP, but so far everything else is still working. I don't know what it is looking at, but that solved my problem. There are some named keys that relate to specific software but don't mention it by name. Perhaps the folks at Adobe can find out what it is looking at in the registry.
                            • 11. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                              William, what did you mean by a full installer cleanup? Did you select all and then run it. If so, would programs that you wanted to keepstill run
                              • 12. Re: Installing Adobe Reader 9.0
                                Level 1
                                I looked at the list of things that needed cleanup and was overwhelmed. I realized that I had never actually run the Installer Cleanup before, so everything I ever installed was there. With some trepidation I did a select all and ran it. It took over an hour, but it cleaned everything. I was concerned, but I have most if not all of the original software. I did have to reinstall Microsoft Office (all of it), SmartFTP, and AdAware. There may be other things I have not run yet. I also have a terra-byte backup device with all my drives on it, so I was certain I could recover if needed. The terra-byte devices have gotten too cheap to not have one.