5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 6:48 PM by Zinusmero

Extended features getting disabled

We have two computers in our organization that do not want to send forms to each other!

We created a form - one user (user A) tried to send a filled out form to another particular user so that he can sign off on it (using a signature field), but this particular user (user B)cannot modified the form at all!

User B gets this message:
      "This document enabled extended features in Adobe Reader. The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended feautres is no longer available. Please contact the author for the original version of this document."

However, user A can send the same form to anyone else, and they can open it and use the form just fine - no message.
      It gets even better - User B can open other PDFs/forms from other people and use them just fine as well.
      Not to mention - if user A sends the form to someone else (user C) first, then user C forwards the form to user B WITHOUT MAKING ANY CHANGES - it works fine; we don't get that message.

If you can follow all of that and have any idea what may be causing this issue, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it! Both users have Adobe Reader 9, and the form was created in Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. All on Windows XP. The person sending the email is using Outlook, the person receiving the form is using a web based email (but saving the document to the computer first does not help).

Thanks for the help!
        • 1. Re: Extended features getting disabled
          gsommer2

I can confirm this random "Extended features getting disabled" bug is still present under Adobe Reader 9.3.1.
          The only known workaround is to keep opening the document till the error disappears.

Using Adobe Reader 9.3.1 for Linux.

• 2. Re: Extended features getting disabled
            Johnny_Bigtime Level 1

I'd like to piggy-back on this thread. I am also having this issue and closing and reopening the document until the error message goes away is not a solution.

I'm using Acrobat Pro 9.2.0 for MAC and enabling extensions for Reader. The Reader version our company uses is Reader 9.1.3 for PC.

As in the original post, it's a single user that continues to have these issues. All the other people that touch these files have little/no problems with this. Tech Support has tried reinstalling Reader and it seemed to work for a few days and now the issue is back. Anyone have a clue on this?

Here's a screenshot of the error, which is also stated in the original post.

Extensions_Error.jpg

• 3. Re: Extended features getting disabled
              TCAir

My company is having the exact same problem.  We have had documents with no modifications, just stop allowing field filling.  This is a very serious problem for us.  Does anyone have a solution or patch yet?

• 4. Re: Extended features getting disabled
                Johnny_Bigtime Level 1

It seems to be an issue with early Reader 9 versions and Windows XP

on the PC side, we had no issues with Windows 7 running Reader 9.1.3. Update to Reader 9.4.3 or preferably Reader X

. All this should clear out.

This was my fix, no guarantee it will work for everyone else.

Good luck,

Johnny Bigtime

• 5. Re: Extended features getting disabled
                  Zinusmero Level 1

I am having the same problem. When the form is emailed from a pc to a mac, the extended features are dropped. When the document is emailed from the mac back to the pc, it works fine.

Looks like a mac adobe reader issue for me.