17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 3:30 AM by TheLastReader

Adobe Reader 9.0 hangs when a pdf file is double clicked.

When I double click on a pdf file, Adobe reader 9.0 will hang(Not with every pdf, however). This pdf has Arial MS Unicode font embedded in it. However, if I drag this pdf file in an instance of Reader 9.0 or use File -> open, it will load just fine. Adobe 7.0 and Adobe 8.0 worked just fine in all the scenarios.

You can find the sample pdf here:
      http://twop.gorodok.net/PDF.PDF

After going nuts for some time, found that when I double click on that pdf file Reader 9.0 is trying to load this file CP949.TXT from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\win" directory. Since that file is not present, reader hangs and gives me all kind of fingers. I found CP949.TXT on my machine in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSpt\Unicode\Mappings\win" directory and once I copied that file to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\win" everything works just fine.

So the question is what changed?
      Has Adobe acknowledged that this is an issue?
      Is Adobe going to fix it?
      Is Adobe going to give some details on why the behavior was changed from previous versions to 9.0?

I am thinking this is code page 949 related , so I am guessing it has to do something with Fonts. Right??

Did Adobe Reader change the way fonts are loaded? or the specification changed on what should be written out for font information? Did something change with respect to to Font embedding??

Or you guys just forgot to put that and other CP*.TXT files in the installer??

Is there a workaround?? Is there any kind of resolution??