5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 9:49 PM by zxrg

Photos converted to pdf files by Adobe 9.0??

I am a rookie user.
      I recently downloaded Adobe 9.0 per a prompt on my PC.
      I went in today to look at some photos that I have had on this PC for about a year - save in standard 'folder-file-jpeg' format.

Somehow, and I did not do this since I would not know how - 4 of my vacation photo folder had been converted to Adobe pdf files. That's about 1000 photos.

This is not what I want - and not the format I use.
      How can I get them back to jpegs and stop this from happening again.

Thanks,
      Ken
        • 1. Re: Photos converted to pdf files by Adobe 9.0??
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Adobe Reader doesn't create pdf files. What did you download?
          • 2. Re: Photos converted to pdf files by Adobe 9.0??
            Level 1
            What is the file extension of the photos that "were changed"? Unless it is .pdf, then nothing has changed. I suspect what happened is that those files are now defaulted to open in Adobe Reader. Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types, scroll down to the file extension such as jpg and choose Opens with (your chosen program - perhaps Microsoft Paint).

You may have to uncheck box in Folder Options > View > "Hide extensions for known file types", to see the file extensions of your files.
            • 3. Re: Photos converted to pdf files by Adobe 9.0??
              Level 1
              Berndt and David,
              Thanks for trying to help me.

I have checked the following:

1. Photos in question now have a .pdf file extension.

2.I recently downloaded Acrobat.com, Adobe Air, Adobe reader 9.0 and Adobe Flash Player Active X.

3. I went to Control Panel, Folder Option and had 3 tabs to choose from: 1. General 2. View 3. Search.
              I reviewed each option under the 3 tabs and I did not find an option to change or do anything with file extensions such as .jpeg, etc.

4. My OS is Vista Home.

Please advise next steps or some idea on what I can do, try, chcek on for you, etc.

Many thanks! I am grateful.
              Ken
              • 4. Re: Photos converted to pdf files by Adobe 9.0??
                Level 1
                Not sure if this will work. Try renaming one of the files to have the jpg extension, then try opening it in Microsoft Paint or some other image viewing program. There is a chance that the files were renamed, but not converted.

Then again, maybe they were actually converted. See if the following link is any help. I just stumbled on it in a Google Search.

http://www.print-driver.com/howto/convert_pdf_to_jpeg.html
                • 5. Re: Photos converted to pdf files by Adobe 9.0??
                  zxrg
                  to add more for david batson, to Associate A File Type Or Protocol With A Program, you need to goto Control Panel, then click Default Programs, then choose Associate A File Type Or Protocol With A Program, scroll down to the file extension such as jpg and choose Opens with (your chosen program - perhaps Microsoft Paint).