14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 9:35 AM by dendog57

Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro

Level 1
      We have a few systems here that are having real problems with Adobe Reader 9. When the users attempt to open a .pdf file, they get a BSOD, and the system reboots. Once the system comes back up, they are able to open the offending file with no problems.

Here are details of our systems:
      Dell Optiplex 755
      Windows XP Pro SP3
      2GB Ram
      32 Bit OS

I have found this occurs most often when opening pdf's that were created with earlier versions.

I'm sure I have left out some vital piece of information, so if you need clarification on something, please ask. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          The BSOD is caused by driver problems. Try updating the drivers to your
          hardware.

Mike
          • 2. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
            pwillener Level 8
            > I'm sure I have left out some vital piece of information...

Yes, what is the error code on the BSOD, and if possible the module name that caused the BSOD; that would give us some clues what's wrong.
            • 3. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
              Level 1
              I ran a dumpchk, and the output is below. I will freely admit that the data presented is beyond my understanding. Does this information provide you with the data you need to assist? Thank you!

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>dumpchk -3 c:\Mini031109-01.dmp
              Loading dump file c:\Mini031109-01.dmp
              ----- 32 bit Kernel Mini Dump Analysis

DUMP_HEADER32:
              MajorVersion 0000000f
              MinorVersion 00000a28
              DirectoryTableBase 0ad40500
              PfnDataBase 81086000
              PsLoadedModuleList 8055d720
              PsActiveProcessHead 805638b8
              MachineImageType 0000014c
              NumberProcessors 00000002
              BugCheckCode 1000007e
              BugCheckParameter1 c0000005
              BugCheckParameter2 bfc34800
              BugCheckParameter3 adac250c
              BugCheckParameter4 adac2208
              PaeEnabled 00000001
              KdDebuggerDataBlock 8054d2e0
              MiniDumpFields 00000dff

TRIAGE_DUMP32:
              ServicePackBuild 00000300
              SizeOfDump 00010000
              ValidOffset 0000fffc
              ContextOffset 00000320
              ExceptionOffset 000007d0
              MmOffset 00001068
              UnloadedDriversOffset 000010a0
              PrcbOffset 00001878
              ProcessOffset 000024c8
              ThreadOffset 00002728
              CallStackOffset 00002980
              SizeOfCallStack 00000a90
              DriverListOffset 000036a0
              DriverCount 00000085
              StringPoolOffset 00005e20
              StringPoolSize 00001270
              BrokenDriverOffset 00000000
              TriageOptions 00000041
              TopOfStack adac2570
              DebuggerDataOffset 00003410
              DebuggerDataSize 00000290
              DataBlocksOffset 00007090
              DataBlocksCount 00000006

Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86

Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055d720
              Debug session time: Wed Mar 11 15:50:41 2009
              System Uptime: 0 days 2:18:26
              start end module name
              804d7000 806e4000 nt Checksum: 001FBC56 Timestamp: Thu
              33:13 2008 (48A3FBD9)

Unloaded modules:
              aa3a9000 aa3d4000 kmixer.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              aa3a9000 aa3d4000 kmixer.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              aab0b000 aab36000 kmixer.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              bafaa000 bafab000 drmkaud.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              baa48000 baa55000 DMusic.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              aab36000 aab59000 aec.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              ab33a000 ab348000 swmidi.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              bae4c000 bae4e000 splitter.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              add8a000 add9f000 naveng.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              add9f000 ade74000 navex15.sys Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              bab08000 bab15000 i8042prt.SYS Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              bac08000 bac0d000 Cdaudio.SYS Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
              ba5a1000 ba5a4000 Sfloppy.SYS Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)

Finished dump check
              • 4. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                pwillener Level 8
                No, that doesn't tell me anything. You should post the data from the BSOD, or if this is not available, the Watchdog event log from C:\Windows\Logfiles\Watchdog.
                • 5. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                  Level 1
                  Ok, I was finally able to get the information. Here is what the BSOD says:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBFC34800, 0x9E30D50C, 0x9E30D208)
                  ati3duag.dll - address BFC34800 base at BFB2E000, Datestamp 46eb3954

I updated the video, audio, and chipset drivers. I have noticed that this only happens when you open a pdf file, close the file while keeping Adobe Reader open, then selecting "File, open, and then the file". As soon as I click on ok, the computer shuts down and the preceding message is shown. It only shows up if I turn off the auto-reboot after BSOD, otherwise the shutdown is too quick to see anything.
                  • 6. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                    MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                    Can you see if you have video acceleration turned on for the video driver?

Mike
                    • 7. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                      Level 1
                      I am having the same problem. I have adobe acrobat 9 pro and when I have one pdf open and I try and open another pdf I get a BSOD. My info is exactly the same as Emily Waters except the addresses are different obviously. I am also running Windows XP.
                      • 8. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                        Level 1
                        Perhaps this may be of some help.

Adobe has released a patch which addresses a critical flaw in Adobe Acrobat products. Affected products include:

Adobe Reader versions 9.x
                        Adobe Reader versions 8.x
                        Adobe Reader versions 7.x
                        Adobe Acrobat Standard versions 9.x
                        Adobe Acrobat Standard versions 8.x
                        Adobe Acrobat Standard versions 7.x
                        Adobe Acrobat Pro versions 9.x
                        Adobe Acrobat Pro versions 8.x
                        Adobe Acrobat Pro versions 7.x
                        Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended versions 9.x

The vulnerability can cause Adobe application to crash and more importantly allow an attacker to take control of an affected system. This issue is caused by an array indexing error when processing a malformed JBIG2 stream within a PDF document, which could allow attackers to cause a vulnerable application to crash or execute arbitrary code by tricking a user into opening a specially crafted PDF file. Visiting a compromised website or opening attachments are two possible ways that the exploit can be delivered.

US Cert published 2 new attack vectors on March 10th: (http://www.us-cert.gov/current/)

When Adobe Reader is installed on a system, it adds an IFilter that allows applications such as the Windows Indexing Service to index PDF files. If the Windows Indexing Service processes a malicious PDF file stored on the system, the vulnerability can be exploited. Exploitation using this technique can require little to no user interaction.

In addition to adding an IFilter, the Adobe Acrobat and Reader installation process adds a Windows Explorer Shell Extension. If Windows Explorer displays a folder that contains a malicious PDF file, the vulnerability can be exploited. Exploitation using this technique also requires little to no user interaction.

The exploit has been in the wild for some time and detections of this exploit have been seen on systems in the USGS already via the USGS enterprise Antivirus Service (http://itsot.usgs.gov/dmz/evirus/index.html).

It is therefore highly suggested that all systems are patched to address this vulnerability. Adobe has released a fix for version 9 (updating to 9.1), Version 7 and 8 patches will be available by March 18, 2009. This even seems to affect Unix OS based systems as Adobe states all platforms are affected by this vulnerability.

More info from Adobe website concerning this vulnerability are available here: http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb09-03.html

Have fun
                        • 9. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                          Level 1

Hello.  I work for Dell as a Gold / Pro Support technical support representative.  I had a customer call in earlier today with the exact same error, exact same blue screen message.  Using the Windows Debugger referenced the same ATI DLL file in the Minidump files.

It was repeatable -- Specifically, it would instantly occur every time he opened a second PDF file in Reader 9.1.  Any two would work, if he opened one, then opened a second one, instant bluescreen.  This was with a clean format of Windows XP Pro with the standard Dell drivers off the resource CD, 755, ATI Radeon 2400 XT, etc etc.  The same system that you have, I believe, it is a very popular Dell model and that video card is the standard offering.

After approximately an hour and a half of troubleshooting, we discovered it did not happen when we uninstalled the graphics drivers and ATI utility software.  Installing JUST the drivers, and not the ATI Catalyst Control center, fixed the issue.  I simply had the customer tell the Found New Hardware Wizard to look on Windows Update for drivers and installed the ATI drivers avialable there.

I am unsure if the problem is a weird interaction between Adobe Reader 9.X and the ATI Catalyst Control Center, or if it's a problem specific to the version of the driver on support.dell.com.  I tend to believe it is the former, however, as I did have the customer update the graphics driver from the older version on the CD to the newest version off support.dell.com, with no change.

Anyway, thought I'd sneak in here from home and mention this, as this was one of the only forum posts I found about this issue when researching it for my customer.  Hope the information is helpful to you.

-- Mark

• 10. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                            pwillener Level 8

Thanks for the feedback and details on your findings. I hope that the original poster will come back; hopefully to get her problem solved as well.

• 11. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                              Level 1

We have Adobe Pro 9, Windows XP and Optiplex 755 systems as well.  Hazardous mix, apparently.

In our case it happens when opening a file by directly double clicking on it from the desktop or My Documents.  If we open Adobe first, then click Open it seems to not happen as much.

Will try the ATI drivers approach.

• 12. Adobe 9 BSOD on Win XP Pro - Problem Solved
                                luser47 Level 1

[While the original post was for Reader 9, I found this same problem with Acrobat 9 Pro, and found a solution.]

Problem: Opening one PDF file is fine, but once you open the second file -- BSOD.

Cause: There is still a problem with Adobe's 2D GPU Acceleration feature.

Per http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405218&sliceId=1, "If acceleration hardware is detected, then optimization is enabled for all files except the first one opened when Acrobat launches." That is why the first file opens OK, but the second causes BSOD.  Adobe is either not detecting acceleration hardware correctly, or is not calling it correctly.

Temporary Solution:

1.  In Acrobat or Adobe Reader, choose to Edit > Preferences.

2.  Go to the Page Display panel.

3.  Uncheck Use 2D GPU acceleration.

I tested my machine [Dell Optiplex 755, ATI Radion HD 2400 XT 8.420.0.0, Win XP Pro, Adobe 9 Pro] with "2D GPU acceleration" checked, attempted open of 4 PDFs from File Explorer -->first one opened, then BSOD, rebooted, unchecked "2D GPU", attempted the exact same operation --> all four opened in their windows and now I am happily typing on this page.

This is per http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=324073, which is a post from two years ago and relates to Adobe 8.  So, Dell has been fielding calls on this for at least two years.  Way to stick in there, Dell.  Two years ago, Adobe knew the problem ("You are using an desktop ATI video card with driver version 8.291 or 8.301 and have the Acrobat Page Display Preference 'Use 2D GPU acceleration' enabled." was what they said back then, and recommended updating the video drivers.  So, Dell stays with it, Adobe says to update your drivers.  Well, I bought an entirely new Dell to get the latest drivers and it didn't help.

Permanent solution:

Adobe needs to get 2D GPU acceleration to really work (how about a line of code where you check whether it is going to work before you execute it?) or ship their product with that feature off by default.

• 13. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                                  Level 1

I wonder if this is related to the other post I recently made where opening any PDF from within a browser causes exceedingly high CPU loads on the core that is running the browser.  I went back to 8.1.4 and the problem goes away so it's clearly something new in 9.1.0.  I'd test this GPU acceleration option fix, but I actually need to do work with this machine so I'm staying away form 9.1 for now, 'til this whole PDF mess is straightened out.

• 14. Re: Reader 9 causes BSOD on Windows XP Pro
                                    dendog57 Level 1