10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 9:29 PM by (Dan_Ma)

AcroRd32.exe Error Message

Hello,
      I am having a problem opening my Adobe Reader 9. When I click on it, I get the message, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the program." I've tried updating, uninstalling and reinstalling the reader, but nothing seems to work. It's becoming a real problem seeing as how I can't open any pdf's. Any suggestions? Thank you for you help.
        • 1. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
          pwillener Level 8
          There are many possible reasons for a 0xc0000005 error. What I suggest you should try first is to update to the latest Reader version 9.1

Please post back if the error still occurs with 9.1
          • 2. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
            Level 1
            Hi, thanks for the reply. I updated my Reader to 9.1, but I am still getting the same message. What can I do?
            • 3. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
              pwillener Level 8
              Is there anything in the Event Viewer (Applications, at the time of the occurrence) that can give you any more clue, e.g. some module name?

Another question: are you running as an administrator user?
              • 4. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
                Level 1
                I don't recall exactly when it stopped working, but it was probably about a month and a half ago. Sorry, I don't know very much about computers, but in the Event Viewer, under Applications I see numerous warnings, the Sources being MsiInstaller and Userenv. Does that mean anything? And yes, I believe I am running as the administrator. Sorry I can't be of more help, thanks for your patience.
                • 5. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
                  pwillener Level 8
                  Please run it again, and note the exact time when you got the error message, then check the Event Viewer again for any entry at that time.
                  • 6. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
                    Level 1
                    OK, so I ran it again and checked the Event Viewer. Under "Application", there is no notification, but under "System", it shows an Application Popup as the source at that time. I clicked on it and it opened up the Help and Support Center which says I need to reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location. But I have already tried that and it doesn't work. Suggestions on how to restore the driver? Here's the message:

Details
                    Product: Windows Operating System
                    ID: 26
                    Source: Application Popup
                    Version: 5.2
                    Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation
                    The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
                    To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
                    Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.
                    If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.

Version: 5.0
                    Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error
                    Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation
                    The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
                    To correct this problem:

Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.
                    • 7. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
                      pwillener Level 8
                      This *is* possibly the cause of your problem, but it's very hard to diagnose with the information the Event Log entry gives.

Is there any clickable link in that entry? Does it lead you anywhere if you click on it?
                      • 8. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
                        Level 1
                        Well it just leads me to an Event Properties page and the only link it contained led to the information I posted above from the Windows Help and Support Center.
                        • 9. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
                          pwillener Level 8
                          Sorry, this is the end of my "wisdom"; I don't know what is causing the problem, and therefore cannot give you any more advice.

If this was happening on my machine, I would
                          *open the Device Manager and see if there are any drivers flagged with a yellow exclamation mark
                          *check with DriverMax if there are any seriously outdated drivers
                          • 10. Re: AcroRd32.exe Error Message
                            Level 1
                            Well, this is mostly my fault considering I wasn't really able to give much detailed information. But nevertheless, Pat, I thank you very much for all the help you provided me. Hopefully I can find some way to resolve this dilemma. Until then I hope you have a nice day!