7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2012 7:04 AM by M.A.S.T. RSS

Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System

Onazuka
      Is Adobe EVER going to fix Acrobat Reader so it can print PDF files when running on Mac OS X with a case sensitive file system?

We have been running all our Macs for years with a case sensitive file system which is one of the options on the Mac OS X installer. All our applications work fine except Adobe Reader. I have asked and complained to Adobe for a year or two. Whenever we try to print it just says that "Adobe Reader cannot print this document". We would use Preview but we use forms and digital signatures that Preview can't handle. We end up having to copy all our PDF files to a Windows system to print. This is pathetic, especially from Adobe.
        • 1. Re: Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System
          MichaelKazlow CommunityMVP
          Adobe doesn't support the Case Sensitive File system. Even Apple doesn't
          recommend it for anything but their server product and they do not
          recommend its use on the boot driver of OS X server.

Mike
          • 2. Re: Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System
            Onazuka Community Member
            Sorry, but that's just a bunch of crap, and some of of it may have been true 2 years ago.

First, the standard Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) which has been out for ~1.5 years has the case sensitive option available to all users on, not just server, via the standard installer. Clearly this shows that Apple has said it's OK to use the case sensitive file system.

Second, both my home and work Macs have been running the case sensitive file system for well over a year and I have 104 applications installed on my Mac at home and 57 on my Mac at work and EVERY single app works fine on the case sensitive file system EXCPET Adobe Reader. That's my only Adobe product. Doesn't that tell you something?

Third, a case sensitive file system is what we should all be using, that's what we use in real language, and we should not still be restricting ourselves to design decisions of the 1980s where memory and disk space was so expensive that it was saved by using case insensitive filesystems. It's just not right that the file named "you must read me" is the same as the file "You MUST READ me".

Lastly, do you know how easy it is to write software that works with a case sensitive file system? Actually it requires ZERO extra effort. There is no support. All you need to do is actually TEST your software properly. Think about it. If software doesn't work with a case sensitive file system it is because the software is looking for a file with a different case name the the file actually exists on the disk. For example, the software looks for "MyPreferncesFile" and on the disk it is "mypreferencesfile". This is a programming mistake!

There is really nothing to do to support a case sensitive file system other than properly developing your software. So, I can rephrase my question if you like and ask for the software to be properly written and debugged instead.

I know that Adobe is always way behind, but this is ridiculous.
            • 3. Re: Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System
              MichaelKazlow CommunityMVP
              Jeff,

I know that Apple has made the case sensitive file system available in
              Leopard, but that did not change Apple's recommendations. Adobe has made
              it pretty clear that they do not support the case sensitive file system.
              I wish they would. It is a safer system to be running, but my or your
              wishing doesn't make it so.

If you want it supported get you, your friends, and all acquaintances to
              place a request at:

Then maybe, just maybe it might get supported in Reader 11.

Mike
              • 4. Re: Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System
                Tom Panfil

Mike & Jeff,

System Requirements for installation of Nikon Capture NX2 on Macintosh OS X (version 10.4.11 or 10.5.2) include a note that Capture NX2 is not compatible with the Case Sensitive, or Case Sensitive, Journaled disk formats.

Nikon is in the Adobe camp on this issue.

Tom

• 5. Re: Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System
                  Kahlil Erwin Talledo

freaking dreamweaver is the same!

• 6. Re: Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System
                    mkhoward

Adobe is just wrong on this.  It's a huge failure on their part to require a case-insensitive drive. I feel cheated and ripped off.   It's lazy poor programmers who program without strict adherence to case in filenames and variables.  Shameful, and not that hard to fix.

I have hours invested in getting the software setup on my various Mac OSX Servers.  Case sensitive filesystems are the default for the system disks, and something I choose routinely for all other drives.  This is the proper filesystem.  It's the RIGHT way do do things.  All of my other software works EXCEPT Adobe products.  I do not have the time or inclination to rebuild my system disk from scratch.  It's cheaper for me to buy a new machine.

Wake up Adobe.  WAKE UP!  This is not a new issue.  Support your users.

• 7. Re: Mac OS X Case Sensitive File System
                      M.A.S.T.

At 24 September 2012, the problem is still awaiting solution. Reader X on OSX with case-sensitive filesystem is affected by the problem.