5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 8:14 AM by (Martin_Holt)

Can't fill in form

Hi,

I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium with Adobe 9.

I have a pdf form that I'm supposed to be able to fill in, and although the cursor will click on the field, I can't type anything in. I've consulted Help; still no joy. Any ideas ?

Martin
        • 1. Re: Can't fill in form
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >that I'm supposed to be able to fill in

How do you know?

>I can't type anything in

It requires form fields to be added by the creator of PDF (just because it looks like a form, doesn't mean that those fields have been added). If it doesn't have those, you won't be able to type anything in.
          • 2. Re: Can't fill in form
            Level 1
            Can't fill in form

>>A new message was posted by graffiti in

>Adobe Reader --
            >Can't fill in form

>that I'm supposed to be able to fill in

>>How do you know?

It's a job application form and the form owner says that that is the procedure.

>I can't type anything in

>>It requires form fields to be added by the creator of PDF (just >>because it looks like a form, doesn't mean that those >>fields have >>been added). If it doesn't have those, you won't be able to type >>anything in.

If we assume that the creator of the form did so with its intended use in mind...i.e that there are form fields....is there any other explanation ?

Thanks for answering,
            Martin
            • 3. Re: Can't fill in form
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >is there any other explanation ?

Not that I can think of.

Do you have a button near the top right of the form that says "highlight form fields"? if not, that means there are no form fields.

If so, could you possibly post a copy of the PDF somewhere so we can look at it?
              • 4. Re: Can't fill in form
                (J.R._Sanford) Level 1
                Hey Martin, go to http://www.irs.gov - click on the Form 1040 and see if you can fill that one out.

J.R.
                • 5. Re: Can't fill in form
                  Level 1
                  Hi JR,

Yep, I can fill that one out (although I wouldn't want to) and I can see the button that graffiti referred to. So its the form. Can I ask you too, can you recommend a good trial version of a pdf to word convertor ? Thanks for your help,
                  Martin