17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2014 7:37 AM by faepa RSS

Printing pdf is very slow

Community Member
      Hi,

When I print to the network printer in the office it is printing very slow. It lasts a long time before the print job has been sent to the printer, after sending the print job to the printer it lasts a very long time before the printer prints. It prints page 1 and than I have to wait 2 minutes before the second page prints.
      Version of adobe reader is 9.1.

Can someone help me with this issue?

I am desperate.
        • 1. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
          MichaelKazlow CommunityMVP
          Computer hardware specs, OS, network, driver?

Mike
          • 2. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
            Community Member

Hi -did you ever get an answer re slow printing - my adobe is slow to print also.  I do not see many helpful replies on the BB system.

• 3. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
              ~graffiti CommunityMVP

/michael Kazlows question applies to you as well. Without more info, we can't do anything except take some lucky guesses.

• 4. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                jc25dot00 Community Member

I have a user who is seeing this very same problem, but with Acrobat Pro 9.  The problem just started when he upgraded his apps to the CS4 versions.  He completely uninstalled all of his Adobe products and then reinstalled them, but the problem persists.  He is running Mac OS 10.5.  Whenever he tries to print a pdf, the computer hangs while spooling.  The Force Quit menu says Adobe stops responding, but it will eventually print after a very long time.  When it does start to print, it only prints about one page per minute.  This is happening on two networked HP printers, a LaserJet 4250 and 4350.  I tried to print as image and that speeds it up somewhat, but it is still very slow.  I also turned off the RAM Disk setting on the printer, but that didn't help.  Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                  Januaryco Community Member

I have the same issue as the person that original put of this post...But the Adobe very that we have on  office service is

Adobe 5.0 , tried to update ...in the help take bit it didnt give me this option.

I think we are running Windows Server 2000.  Can anyone help. Please

• 6. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                    ctwilson7 Community Member

If Adobe Acrobat Reader prints slowly try the following:

1.             Open a PDF file

2.             From the menu, select File > Print

3.             From the dialog displayed, click on the Advanced button at the bottom

4.             On the Advanced Print Setup dialog, make sure that “Let printer determine colors” is CHECKED.

5.             Click OK and OK to print the document.

This worked for me.

• 7. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                      idsecure11 Community Member

Great directions thank you. I actually thought something was wrong with my printer but it

prints normally now. Thanks a bunch.

Damon

• 8. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                        ctwilson7 Community Member

Excellent!  Glad to hear it.  If this works for others I'd appreciate hearing about it.  I may have to deploy this setting change to 1000's of PC's at my company and I'd like more evidence that it works and doesn't cause other problems.

• 9. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                          RedFox7070 Community Member

having the same issue as well and will try the advise given as i too have alot of

changes if it works.

• 10. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                            xavierkress Community Member

I'm actually getting this same issue.  I have a Ricoh C4500, I'm running Windows 2003 Server, with the printer shared (All other printers on this server print PDF's just fine).  I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 4GB RAM, i7 (Dell E6410).  I've unchecked all options except "Let printer determine colors".  It sits at 64kb / 237kb and takes about 2 - 3 minutes per page to print.  I made the same selection and added "Print as Image" and it sat at 64kb / 3.11Mb.   Still same issue.  I've recreated the port on the server, I've deleted the old printer and readded it from scratch.  I've tried PCL5, PCL6, PS Driver, PS Universal (which locked up the printer properties page and I had to remove and recreate a new printer setup), I've tried C4500 Universal drivers, HP Universal Drivers and it's still not working.

Any thoughts would be great!

P.S. We did get it working once, on a local machine I copied a local driver PCL5 onto the machine and mapped the printer.  It did print.  However in trying to put the Win 2003 Server driver on the server for PCL5, no change and no go.  Then I put the shared printer back up and no changes.  Thanks ahead of time!

• 11. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                              StephenBooth_uk Community Member

I get this problem with one specific PDF printing from Windows 7 to a Toshiba eStudio 451c.  It is 134 pages so I'd expect total printing time to be a while but this is taking 2-3 minutes per page, that is actually printing the page takes seconds but it sits and 'thinks' between each page.  I've tried the above changes and selecting gray scale, still takes the same amount of time.

• 12. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                                sr1doc Community Member

I am using Adobe Acrobat 10.1.9 on OS X 10.9.2

I had the same issue with my Xerox 3615 printing one page per minute when using Acrobat.

I followed the steps outlined here (slightly different for Mac - you have to make sure print as image is not selected and then choose color handling: same as source)

I'm back to printing at normal speed.

No side effects noticed yet from the changed settings.

Thanks a lot for this advice.

• 13. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                                  dawalhamo Community Member

Just wanted to pop in and say that this advice worked great!

We recently upgraded to new computers with Windows 8, and could *not* figure out what to do about our pdfs printing so slowly all of a sudden! 

I had to install an actual copy of Adobe Reader rather than the Reader app that came with Windows 8 (because there's no apparent way to change any settings on that app), but this solved it.  Haven't used it enough to see if there are any side effects, but so far so good!

Thanks!

• 14. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                                    kathrynjacobson Community Member

Has anyone had a luck in fixing this?  I'm having the same problem printing from Windows 7 Pro to a Canon 4045 using a PCL kit.

• 15. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                                      zigalot Community Member

FIXED

The problem for me was the WSD Port

This worked for me.

I am running Windows8.1 64bit

Photoshop CS4

You will need to know the printer's IP address. I was able to get mine from the printer control panel. It should look something like 192.168.0.102

Go to Devices and Printers (can be found in Control Panel)

Right click on the printer

Chose printer properties

Click on Ports

Click Add Port

Select Standard TCP/IP Port

Click New Port

Click Next

Enter the Printer's IP address from above

You can leave the port name as the IP Address or you can name it if you prefer

Click Next

Click Finish

Click Close

Click Close

Now Try to print something.

Good Luck!

If this helps anybody, please let me know. Thanks.

• 16. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                                        bkroot Community Member

ctwilson7 - Thank you! Your setting change instructions solve a long-standing and vexing problem with slow pdf printing on my office printer.

• 17. Re: Printing pdf is very slow
                                          faepa Community Member

Hi

For me, the solution to this problem of slow print was to check the option "PRINT IN GRAY SCALE (BLACK AND WHITE)". I had this issue with two HP 2055dn printers installed in a printer server, and just in some pdf documents was too much slow the print

See the screen:

solution.JPG

Douglas F. Alves

Hospital Estadual Américo Brasiliense

Américo Brasiliense - SP - Brasil