2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 4:53 AM by (Joan_Anania)

Adobe Reader Fails to Install

Windows XP Professional, Media Center Edition. Installation proceeds smoothly until the end when the Error 1317 message appears stating that an error occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu. Toward the end of the installation process a query appeared "Do you want to overwrite the file C\Program Files\Adobe\Reader9.0\Setup. I click yes and process continues. I have tried ten or twelve times to install this to no avail. Have read of these installation problems in Google and in Microsoft site but none of the remedies suggested have worked for me. I hope someone can help me as I am completely frustrated and do not know what else to do.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader Fails to Install
          pwillener Level 8
          Have you looked at this article http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=332541 ?
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader Fails to Install
            Level 1
            I wrote a reply and posted it but do not see it. Perhaps I am not using this forum correctly. Anyway, in the reply I thought I had sent I wrote that indeed I have read the article suggested and have followed carefully all the directions allowing permissions. There was also an article in Microsoft Support on the same Error 1317 but this one involved installation of Visual Studio. The directions were more detailed than the ones in the Adobe article and involved setting the permissions on the Drive as well as all the parent folders. I did all that as well. The problem persists and I am at my wits end. Any further suggestions would be very much appreciated. Incidentally, is it normal that the Start Menu is the final folder listed? ie Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu