3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 1:22 PM by ~graffiti

Adobe Reader 9.1 removes previous Acrobat version

(Jimmy_Lung)
      We're going to use Adobe Customization Wizard 9 to customize Adobe Reader 9.1 for deployment to our company users. We used the same wizard to deploy Reader 9.0.

Some of our users have Acrobat 7.0 Standard installed and we need to preserve it, and set Reader 9.1 as default to read pdf. I opened Reader 9.1 in the customization wizard and found the installation option "Remove previous version of Acrobat" is checked and grey-out. That looks like once Reader 9.1 installation will remove Acrobat 7.0.

This is not the case with Reader 9.0.

How to preserve Acrobat 7.0 while deploying Reader 9.1?

Jimmy
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1 removes previous Acrobat version
          sonorousjab

I am also having this problem.

thoughts? sugesstions?

please help!

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1 removes previous Acrobat version
            sonorousjab Level 1

FYI

I spoke with Adobe support and they indicated that this can happen, but that it is not a result of the greyed out "Remove previous version of Acrobat" option, which being greyed out, should not effect anything. This does make some sense to me, because it did not always uninstall the old Acrobat product, just some of the time. (I'm not sure on the specifics of why that is)

Their recommendation is to not install Reader and Acrobat on the same computer.

Not my favoured solution, but it'll work I guess.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.1 removes previous Acrobat version
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sonorousjab wrote:

Their recommendation is to not install Reader and Acrobat on the same computer.

Correct. They neither support nor suggest having two versions of Acrobat and Reader or a combination of both.

sonorousjab wrote:

Not my favoured solution, but it'll work I guess.

I can relate. Too bad they can't get around that. I can thinnk of many reasons people would want both (most common being they have an older version of Acrobat to create PDF's but want a newer version of Reader to view newer PDF features.) Keep in mind that many people run both but have no issues whatsoever but there's no guarantees.