3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2009 5:10 AM by ~graffiti

PDF Font is embedded or not

I have a PDF file . View using Acrobat Reader 8 (file-> document properties-> Font), i see a font called "MSung-Light" having the following properties

MSung-Light
      Type : Type 1 (CID)
      Encoding : UniCNS-UCS2-H
      Actual Font: AdobeMingStd-Light
      Actual Font Type : Type 1(CID)

i have the following question regarding this font:
      1. Is "MSung-Light" Embedded Font?
      2. If "MSung-Light" is Embedded Font, then if it is full set embedded or sub set embedded?
      3. How can i ensure that printer have the same output as we view in reader if the pdf using "MSung-Light"?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: PDF Font is embedded or not
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >1. Is "MSung-Light" Embedded Font?

No.

>2. If "MSung-Light" is Embedded Font, then if it is full set embedded or sub set embedded?

If it were embedded (either full or subset) it would say so beside the name of the font which it doesn't.

>3. How can i ensure that printer have the same output as we view in reader if the pdf using "MSung-Light"?

Have the creator of the PDF send you one with all the fonts embedded properly.
          • 2. Re: PDF Font is embedded or not
            Level 1
            thx for reply.

but i still have the following question.

b 3. How can i ensure that printer have the same output as we view in reader if the pdf using "MSung-Light"?

b Have the creator of the PDF send you one with all the fonts embedded properly.

I think you mean embedded the entire font or subset font can ensure the printout is identical to what we read in reader, isn't it?

If i don't apply any embeddeding font, but both printer and PDF have the same font installed, is it still ok to ensure the printout is identical to what we read in reader?

Another Question is how can i ensure the font installed in printer and used in PDF is identical?

Moreover , is "AdobeMingStd-Light" a "native" font of Adobe PDF for asian font? if yes, does it ensure the printout is identical to what we read in reader .

thx a lot.
            • 3. Re: PDF Font is embedded or not
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              >I think you mean embedded the entire font or subset font can ensure the printout is identical to what we read in reader, isn't it?

Either would work.

>If i don't apply any embeddeding font, but both printer and PDF have the same font installed, is it still ok to ensure the printout is identical to what we read in reader?

Possibly but even that isn't any guarantee it'll work.

>Another Question is how can i ensure the font installed in printer and used in PDF is identical?

If you have a font management application, that would be one way.

>Moreover , is "AdobeMingStd-Light" a "native" font of Adobe PDF for asian font? if yes, does it ensure the printout is identical to what we read in reader .

Again, no guarantee. The only way to ensure you get a proper view and printout is to have the font embedded by the machine that created it.