31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2008 10:11 AM by (Jonathan_Wheeler)

Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista

I am using Acrobat Reader 8.1 on Windows Vista (x64). If I load a document into Acrobat Reader and resize the window, the client area fails to resize.

For example, if I shrink the window horizontally, I can no longer see the vertical scrollbar and the right part of the document. If I increase the horizontal size, I see a gray band between the scrollbar (which does not move) and the new right side of the window. The same things happen for vertical resizing.

The same problem occurs if I open a .pdf document in Firefox using the Acrobat Reader plugin.

The only workaround I've been able to find is to close and reopen the document after resizing.
        • 1. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
          I also have this problem. I'm also on Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. It happens to me whether it's being rendered in Firefox, IE, or in its own program.
          • 2. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
            This Prolem exists in WindowsXP-x64, too. I think you have installed the Logitech-Mouse-Driver. Without this, the problem doesn't exist.
            But ist seems, Adobe an Logitech always waiting that the other will solve the problem.
            See the old thread http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc313d1
            • 3. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
              Level 1
              Hrm, interesting. Thanks Michael. Yes, I'm using a Logitech G5 mouse. However, I'm not using the Logitech drivers; they are all signed by Microsoft.

HID-compliant mouse
              Driver Provider: Microsoft
              Driver Date: 6/21/2006
              Driver Version: 6.0.6000.16386
              Driver Signer: microsoft windows

I am, however, using a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam with Logitech drivers as well as a Logitech G15 keyboard, also with Logitech drivers. So maybe that's it. No SetPoint drivers are installed that I know of though.

I recently discovered that I have this same problem in "XM + Napster 4.0.4.7" 's main window, which leads me to believe it's indeed not a problem with Adobe but with Microsoft/Logitech. Passing thought: Maybe it's even a bug in the Windows API itself for these programs and it's failing to send the refresh window signal? Perhaps unlikely (especially given that we all seem to have something Logitech installed), but it was just an idea.

This is quite annoying given that almost 100% of my school work uses Adobe PDFs. I'm a computer science grad student at Stanford. http://cs143.stanford.edu/ See what I mean? Eek! PDF documents galore!

Thanks for your help. :-)
              • 4. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                I'm getting the exact same thing on Windows XP 64, and I have the pay version... Acrobat Professional 8.1.1.
                • 5. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                  Just close then reopen the left hand toolbar - the one with the index or thumbnails. This forces the client area to resize.
                  • 6. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                    I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, Acrobat 8.1 Pro, and I do have Logitech driver loaded.

There's an easier fix I've found. When you resize the Acrobat window, pop into Reading Mode using CTRL-H. The client area will resize to the actual window size. Hitting CTRL-H again puts you back into Editing view, or whatever the default view is called.
                    • 7. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                      Same problem here on Vista business 64bit, Acrobat Professional 8.1.1. Given how easy the workarounds are, you would think that Adobe should be able to generate a fix! -pgk2008
                      • 8. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                        Here's some more information regarding this problem. I've seen the client resize symptom occur in one or two other applications, although I can't remember which at this moment. I usually only experience the problem with Acrobat.

I am running Windows Vista 64-bit. I first found that I would experience the problem after installing Wacom drivers (for a tablet input device), which would enable the Tablet PC functionality in Windows. I found that disabling the "Wacom Virtual Hid Driver" would alleviate the resize bug (and my pen would still work, at least as a mouse).

Recently, however, on the same machine, the problem resurfaced. This occurred after pairing with a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth. I've tried removing the Bluetooth mouse, but the problem persists. It's possible one of the other devices less recently installed is stimulating the behavior instead: Hauppauge HVR-950 or Philips USB Camera for notebooks.

I have no Logitech devices on my system.

I removed the HvR-950, the Philips USB Camera, and the Bluetooth mouse. I disabled the Wacom Virtual Hid Driver. I then restarted the computer. After quickly logging in and starting Acrobat, the problem didn't exhibit itself at first, then later, in the same Acrobat instance, resurfaced.

Therefore, I believe this is a problem with the Windows operating system and not with Acrobat (although it's possible that a fix/workaround could be provided by Acrobat). It also appears to be triggered by either a device driver or service.

I will report back if I find a way to work around the issue in my current configuration.

Jason
                        • 9. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                          Level 1
                          I found some very interesting information, including what was causing the problem for me this time.

First, the problem was not due to any of the aforementioned suspects. I suspected them because of their recent addition to the system, and the fact that they're hardware, much like the tablet and the Logitech mouse, previously implicated.

The culprit was Slysoft AnyDVD v6.3.1.2 (the latest version). Note that I recently upgraded AnyDVD, but I didn't suspect it because I've been reliably running older versions of AnyDVD without any problem. I haven't yet downgraded to see if that will help the problem, but by merely exiting the tray application, Acrobat's client area is now properly refreshed.

Therefore, I now have two different ways to reliably reproduce this problem on my computer. (1) Enable AnyDVD 6.3.1.2 or (2) Enable the Wacom Virtual Hid Driver.

I have one other data point that's somewhat related. When using another Slysoft application, CloneDVD mobile, it will crash when examining certain discs but only when the Wacom Virtual Hid Driver is enabled (and regardless of whether the AnyDVD tray application is running).

Therefore, this problem seems to involve a complex interaction of applications and drivers.

I hope this information helps others find resolution to their problem and perhaps provides enough information for Adobe to work out a resolution for Acrobat.

I'll post here what I find regarding downgrading AnyDVD.

Jason
                          • 10. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                            Level 1
                            Downgrading to AnyDVD 6.3.0.3 also alleviates the symptom.
                            • 11. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                              Level 1
                              It appears also that AnyDVD 6.3.1.3 no longer triggers the symptom. 6.3.1.3 is in beta now and can be found at http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=12864.
                              • 12. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                Level 1
                                I'm soliciting more information from Slysoft here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=86067#post86067
                                • 13. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                  Level 1
                                  And here I was assuming that it was acrobat itself. Thanks for all the troubleshooting _ I'll keep an eye on this thread. -pgk
                                  • 14. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                    Level 1
                                    Brian: Nice! Thanks for the CTRL+H workaround! Cheers!
                                    • 15. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                      Jason R. Coombs, "Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista" #9, 28 Jan 2008 3:34 pm
                                      >The culprit was Slysoft AnyDVD v6.3.1.2 (the latest version). Note that I recently upgraded AnyDVD, but I didn't suspect it because I've been reliably running older versions of AnyDVD without any problem. I haven't yet downgraded to see if that will help the problem, but by merely exiting the tray application, Acrobat's client area is now properly refreshed.

Do not confirm. I have AnyDVD 6.3.1.5. If I exit it, it doesn't change the behaviour of Acrobat.
                                      • 16. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                        Level 1
                                        I have found a discussion of this issue (among others) in microsoft forum.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2793864&SiteID=17
                                        • 17. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                          Level 1
                                          Hi Nox. Thanks for the link, very helpful.

After reading that Microsoft TechNet Forum thread, I'm starting to wonder if we're all using a common hardware component. Everybody in that thread seemed to have very similar systems, namely an NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series graphics card. If you could all post your system specs, that might help us determine if we're all indeed running the same piece of hardware.

Here's my system:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                                          8GB DDR2-800
                                          NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB & NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB (I use 3 monitors.)
                                          Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
                                          Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
                                          Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
                                          Windows Vista Ultimate 64

I also have this problem in the Eclipse IDE as described on the Microsoft forums. This is quite a nuisance.
                                          • 18. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                            Level 1
                                            Also, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 (Intel X38 chipset), running BIOS version F7.
                                            • 19. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                              Level 1
                                              I've noticed this problem with the Eclipse IDE also.

I've got
                                              Windows Vista Ultimate running on
                                              Shuttle SD37P2
                                              Intel QX6700
                                              Intel 82801 GR/GH RAID controller
                                              4GB DDR2-666
                                              ATI Radeon X850
                                              Wacom Intuos pen tablet
                                              Microsoft Bluetooth Adapter 2.0 (with MS Elite KB/Mouse)
                                              Realtek High Definition Audio
                                              Logitech USB Headset (note, removing this has no effect on the symptom)

I've done a clean install of the OS and have noted that the symptom doesn't exhibit itself (in Acrobat Reader) until I install the Wacom drivers. Therefore, with my particular configuration, the Wacom Virtual HID driver and AnyDVD 6.3.1.2 are the only things I've found that cause the symptom.

I don't know the Windows driver model at all, but what I suspect is happening is there is a glitch in the 64-bit driver model that happens to intercept messages to/from the windowing engine when certain conditions are present.

I believe I've reproduced this problem in a virtual machine. I'll attempt to reproduce it again and report back.
                                              • 20. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                Level 1
                                                Indeed. I was easily able to reproduce this problem by performing the following steps in a VMWare 6.0 Workstation VM.

1) Install Windows Vista 64-bit.
                                                2) Install Acrobat Reader (latest).
                                                3) Open a PDF to ensure that it resizes correctly.
                                                4) Install AnyDVD 6.3.1.2 (other versions don't have the problem).
                                                5) After restarting, open the same PDF and see the error exists.

It is not clear to me what the cause of the problem is, but it is clear that both the Wacom Virtual HID Driver and the AnyDVD 6.3.1.2 driver both independently cause the problem to occur in 64-bit Windows.
                                                • 21. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Vista Ultimate x64
                                                  Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, P965, 4GB
                                                  GeForce 8800 Ultra
                                                  Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
                                                  Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

In my case the bug is irrelevant to AnyDVD. But turning off SetPoint indeed solves the problem.

>NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB & NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB (I use 3 monitors.)

yeah... that's really cool :)
                                                  • 22. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                    Level 1
                                                    OK, I don't have AnyDVD but I forgot to mention I have a Wacom Bamboo pen tablet. It seems that any one of AnyDVD/Wacom tablets/SetPoint are causing problems. Jason, do you know if I can simply uninstall my Wacom drivers, or is it too late and it will still cause problems?
                                                    • 23. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Well, now I have a notion what happens.

>any one of AnyDVD/Wacom tablets/SetPoint are causing problems

First, let me correct: any of them MAY cause the problem. Apparently, AnyDVD 6.3.1.5 on my machine is innocent.

Now about the root of the problem. The point is that every one of these programs injects its dll in each other processes, in Adobe particularly. I cannot be absolutley sure about Wacom tablets, because I don't have it, Jonathan can you check?

For AnyDVD this dll is ADvdDiscHlp.dll. For SetPoint: GameHook.dll and lgscroll.dll. The version of ADvdDiscHlp.dll on my machine is 1.0.0.3.

I have other applications that inject their dlls into foreign processes, but they do not cause the discussed problem. I think that the point is aforementioned AnyDVD/Wacom tablets/SetPoint either use improper mechanism to inject dlls or have bugs in setting hooks on windows messages.
                                                      • 24. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Jonathan,
                                                        I'm sorry I didn't reply to your message sooner. The notice got routed to my Junk E-mail.

I have worked around the issue by disabling the "Wacom Virtual HID Driver" in device manager. I'm not sure what purpose that driver serves, but apparently I wasn't using it, because the pen continues to operate as a pointing device, which is all I use it for.

I seem to recall disabling the "Wacom Virtual HID Driver" disabled Pen Computing functionality in Windows, and I suspect it might also have disabled things like pressure sensitivity. I'm still able to manage the pen functions (and buttons) through the Wacom Control Panel, though.

Because of the fact that disabling the driver also disables Windows functionality, I still don't think we can say for sure that it's the Wacom driver itself that's causing the Window Rendering issues.

Jason
                                                        • 25. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                          Level 1
                                                          I should re-iterate that I have _only_ had problems with AnyDVD 6.3.1.2. Previous and subsequent versions did not exhibit any problems. Reading through the forums at Slysoft, there was another symptom that emerged with 6.3.1.2 that they fixed, and that fix probably also addressed the Acrobat resize issue.

Jason
                                                          • 26. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                            Level 1
                                                            !

I was just now using my computer, having the same problem I always have... I reopened a PDF document and my problem automagically went away! NO WAY! No reboot or overt changes! I'll try to figure out what I did if I can! Oh my... this rocks!

Nox: Sorry, I forgot to reply but... No, I didn't see any injected DLLs in Acrobat.exe when I checked last week using PE Explorer.

I did, however, install an Acrobat update a few days ago. It didn't list any fixes to this problem so I haven't bothered to reboot my computer yet. Has their latest patch fixed this problem for you all? Maybe that's it.

Cheers!
                                                            • 27. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                              Level 1
                                                              I rebooted just now and my problem came back. I have *got* to figure out what happened!

I was forced to reboot because Team Fortress 2 crashed and I received a Windows tooltip stating that "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered\nDisplay driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." over and over, and I was getting visual artifacts in Windows. This may or may not be related, but we'll see. Probably not, but I'm going to look into it...
                                                              • 28. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Hi All,

At last...

opresterud has published a link to the explanation (from Jordan Russell) of the phenomenon in the Microsoft's tech forum. The link to the explanation: http://news.jrsoftware.org/news/toolbar2000/msg07779.html

The problem occurs because of the stack overflow in nt!KiCallUserMode. And it indeed appears only when injected dlls install WH_CALLWNDPROC hook (Logitech SetPoint, for example), because it somehow catastrophically shrinks recursive depth of the SendMessage(). The differece in behavior of x86 and x64 Vista is from fact that the stack for x64 can hold exactly two times less recursive calls. So this is the bug of Microsoft. And obviously they didn't fix it in SP1. We only can wait until SP2 and pray for mercy from Microsoft.
                                                                • 29. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                                  I have the same bug. (setpoint, vista x64)
                                                                  When I manually kill the following tasks from the task manager: setpoint.exe, khalmnpr.exe, setpoint32.exe, and then manually start the setpoint driver, the bug disappears :)

I hope it helps!
                                                                  • 30. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Hey spud. Thanks for the post. I have finally figured out which program is causing the problem in my case. It's Xfire. (www.xfire.com) Once I close Xfire, Acrobat starts performing normally again. I don't even have to restart Acrobat. Once I start Xfire, again, Acrobat immediately stops working correctly.

This kind of makes sense, because Xfire probably does some DLL injecting of its own in order to make itself appear in-game as an overlay for all the games that it supports.

Jonathan
                                                                    • 31. Re: Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      I confirmed with a friend who has the same problem with Windows XP 64, also with Xfire. So this isn't limited to Vista.