15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 8:19 AM by ~graffiti

Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download

I am using Vista 32bit. Following is the message I receive:

This program cannot display the web page

Most likely causes:
      You are not connected to the Internet.
      The web site is encountering problems.
      There might be a typing error in the address.
      What you can try:
      Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another web site to make sure you are connected.

Re type the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
      Internet connectivity has been lost.
      The web site is temporarily unavailable.
      The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
      The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the web site's domain.

THEN - I receive the following message:

The license Agreement was not accepted. The application will now quit.

I GET TWO ICONS - 1.) ADOBE READER INSTALL (which appears to install) and 2.) ADOBE READER (which when asked, generates the messages above).

I have open up my fire wall, checked for cookies, tried IE, then downloaded Mozilla Firefox.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS PROGRAM TO WORK? I would greatly appreciate any assistance because I have spent the entire day installing and uninstalling, trying every scenario I could think of. Need help Please! Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
          Level 1
          Try turning off ALL of the security programs that you have on your computer. Next, make certain that you completely uninstall and remove everything reader (Folders, files and references elsewhere). Any removal that you do , including Registry editing is at your own risk! I do not use Vista, but the idea is the same as Win XP. Go to the Adobe site and download the program -do NOT allow the extra item to be included. The file is 20.8 megs. Reboot the computer and have NO other programs running. From you download folder or wherever you put the file, you can run the installer.
          Remember that ALL security must be turned off during the install. You can reenable it after you have Reader 8.1.1. running. ANother thing-you do not mention if you have Acrobat installed as well-there are several known issues concerning the 2 running together.
          Hope this idea works for you
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
            Level 1
            Thanks Ben!

I appreciate your advice. I tried it all and continued to receive the same error message. I wonder if anyone has successfully installed 8.11 on Vista. My manufacturer had Adobe vs 7. something that I was able to install successfully. Thanks again! Barbara
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
              Barbara,

I'm having the SAME problem...new Dell desktop, & I think they did not install the "Elements" correctly?
              Did you get it to load?
              Any help would be great!
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                Level 1
                Joe, My computer is made by ASUS. I was unable to load up 8.1.1. I loaded vs 7 and I continually receive invitations to upgrade. I spent too much time on it. The version I have does what I need it to do. Sorry I am not able to help.
                Barbara
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                  Level 1
                  I have Windows XP, and I cannot download Reader 8.1. I do not have Adobe on my computer at all. Every time I download, it gets to 62% complete, says "network error cannot complete download, do you want to resume?" I say "yes." It sits "pending" forever. I've tried downloading this darn program at least 15 times in the course of a week. HELP! I am not computer savvy, if I have to do anything, please speak laymen terms :) Thank you!

Launa
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                    Level 1
                    I have Windows XP, and I cannot download Reader 8.1. I do not have Adobe on my computer at all. Every time I download, it gets to 62% complete, says "network error cannot complete download, do you want to resume?" I say "yes." It sits "pending" forever. I've tried downloading this darn program at least 15 times in the course of a week. HELP! I am not computer savvy, if I have to do anything, please speak laymen terms :) Thank you!

Launa
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                      Add me to the cast of thousands who can't download and/or install Adobe Reader. I'm running WinXP, using Firefox. Trying to update my Adobe Reader, I get esoteric messages like "Error during install [OK]" and "Can't retrieve essential parameter! (12250.301.169) [OK]" and "(12250.331.1120) [OK]". I've set Firefox options to treat adobe.com as a "trusted" source, turned off my antivirus (AVG Free), done everything the Adobe download instructions say to do. They don't say to uninstall previous Adobe Reader versions, nor tell you to make manual edits to the registry. I shouldn't have to do that.

I download and install programs all the time. Firefox, Thunderbird, iTunes, IrfanView, AVG, Spybot, ... No problems. But Adobe Reader? Nope.

When Adobe figures out how to write downloadable, installable programs I hope to hear about it.
                      • 8. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                        A possible solution to problems opening 8.1.1 and completing the installation may be found in a posting by Liam @ http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc424c7/. When you go to this site click on "previous" and go to "Post 102 of 106" by Liam. He explains the problem and the solution. I used the simplest solution which is at the end of his post. I simply ran the registry "patch" file and the "batch" file Liam created and now Adobe Reader 8.1.1 opens on my Windows XP. I had been trying for a week to find a solution to my problem with receiving a message that Adobe Reader could not open the file. Very frustrating, but, thank God, Liam's solution worked for me.
                        • 9. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                          man i need help. i am running windows vista. pre installed is 8.1.1 professional. i did something and it will not open any pdf files. i try to uninstall and i can't do that either. man this is driving me crazy. i have tried to uninstall many times.
                          here is what i get
                          error 1326: error getting security
                          c:\users\jody\appdata\roaming\adobe\acrobat\8.0\getlasterror:5

please can i get some help.
                          • 10. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                            i have windows xp and am trying to download adobe reader but it is coming up as cannot retrieve essential parameter 12250.301.169
                            • 11. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                              Nemuri13 Level 1
                              try downloading Reader from this site:

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1.2/enu/AdbeRdr812_en_US.exe

OR

http://tinyurl.com/2qfksc
                              • 12. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                                Trying to down load Adobe Reader 8.1.1 the down load stops with the message "cannot access essential parameter 12250.301.169" nobody at Adobe support can help or is willing to help (don't know which), but I need help. What's going on?
                                • 13. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                                  Level 1
                                  >What's going on?

Use the link that gene posted above.
                                  • 14. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                                    Trying to download Acrobat Reader. Windows XP, on a Dell computer, dial up connection. It runs for several minutes, then the window goes blank. I get a "program not responding" message. Then I have to get out, log back into my machine and start it again. I've been doing this all morning and am only up to 11%. This is getting absurd. Please help! I need acrobat to view some important files. Thank you!
                                    • 15. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1.1 will not download
                                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                      Cindy.

Did you try the link that Gene Hutton posted above?