6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 2:09 PM by (Dennie_de_Lange)

8.1.2: is there any way to disable the new 'printing attempt' alert triggered by javascript print ?

Hi,

i've been using the embedded javascript print function with the silent interaction parameter to make a PDF file printed as soon as it's opened without any user iteraction, until this annoying new 'protection' implemented in 8.1.2.

is it possible either in adobe reader options or in embedded javascript to have such a workflow-friendly behavior back in version 8.1.2 ? thanks in advance.

and please do not say that this 'feature' was added to save trees and world climate :p
      • 0. Re: 8.1.2: is there any way to disable the new 'printing attempt' alert triggered by javascript print ?
        (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
        Can you share with us what is new? I thought silent printing was
        disabled several releases ago.

Aandi Inston
        • 2. Re: 8.1.2: is there any way to disable the new 'printing attempt' alert triggered by javascript print ?
          Level 1
          hey,

i've been using this javascript code :

print({bUI: false, bSilent: true, bShrinkToFit: true});

it used to silently autoprint the pdf, even with reader v8.1.1.

why would/should silent printing be disabled ? it's a very useful function to make the workflow of operators smoother :)
          • 3. Re: 8.1.2: is there any way to disable the new 'printing attempt' alert triggered by javascript print ?
            (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
            I can't speak for Adobe, but I am horrified at the idea of an embedded
            JavaScript doing UI-less silent printing.Just think of what spammers
            and advertisers could do with this.

I have no problem with it being done from a batch, or external
            JavaScript of course. But this seems to simply reflect the
            documentation - non-interactive printing can only be executed during
            batch, console and menu events.

So... which method are you using to execute this JavaScript?
            Presumably we are talking about Adobe Reader, which excludes batch
            events, and there is no external API, so this leaves the console and
            menu events.

Aandi Inston
            • 4. Re: 8.1.2: is there any way to disable the new 'printing attempt' alert triggered by javascript print ?
              Level 1
              actually i use the php libary fpdf to generate my pdf, with embedded javascript support (http://fpdf.org/fr/script/script36.php).
              • 5. Re: 8.1.2: is there any way to disable the new 'printing attempt' alert triggered by javascript print ?
                (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                So you are simply embedding a JavaScript print command in the
                document? This is documented as not working; maybe Adobe fixed a bug.

Aandi Inston
                • 6. Re: 8.1.2: is there any way to disable the new 'printing attempt' alert triggered by javascript print ?
                  I am using the same option in PDF. My customers are complaining they have to press an extra button to print the file.
                  The idea of allowing silent printing by default is wrong by design, but they should at least have an option to allow silent printing per domain (user setting).
                  Instead we got a warning dialog which can't be turned off. Not very developer friendly by Adobe.

Greetz Dennie