15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 2:19 PM by Newsgroup_User

Beginner help - PUT confusion

anynick32
      Dreamweaver 8.
      If someone would take the time to give me the detail on this, I would be very grateful. I am getting very frustrated by the apparently random behaviour of PUTting files. What I want is:
      - To save a file locally, and/or click the PUT button, and/or press F12 (or some other keystroke(s), if they will do the trick), in some combination, and know that the file has gone to my testing server, and not gone to the remote server. This without having to switch to the 'big' get/put screen, and manually check each time whether it is set to the remote or testing server.
      - Once I have things working on the test server (which is just a folder on my local machine), I am happy to switch to the big screen, manually select Remote, manually select the files for upload, and put them individidually. I know DW will do all changed files, which is OK. But it is the behaviour during development with the testing server that really matters to me.

I must be doing something wrong, either in setup, or whatever. It seems to me that DW randomly:
      - switches from the testing server as the default destination, to the remote server. Thus clicking PUT followed by F12 often uses the old file, and worse, the remote site now has my recently modified, possibly wrong, page
      - sometimes saving the file puts it to the testing server. Sometimes, not saving the file, but hitting F12, both saves it and puts it, I think.
        • 1. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
          Level 7
          > - switches from the testing server

Why are you using a testing server? If you are creating simple, static HTML
          pages, you do not need one. Set your testing server to "none", and things
          will likely clarify for you.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"anynick32" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gh0g8p$r9g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Dreamweaver 8.
          > If someone would take the time to give me the detail on this, I would be
          > very
          > grateful. I am getting very frustrated by the apparently random behaviour
          > of
          > PUTting files. What I want is:
          > - To save a file locally, and/or click the PUT button, and/or press F12
          > (or
          > some other keystroke(s), if they will do the trick), in some combination,
          > and
          > know that the file has gone to my testing server, and not gone to the
          > remote
          > server. This without having to switch to the 'big' get/put screen, and
          > manually
          > check each time whether it is set to the remote or testing server.
          > - Once I have things working on the test server (which is just a folder on
          > my
          > local machine), I am happy to switch to the big screen, manually select
          > Remote,
          > manually select the files for upload, and put them individidually. I know
          > DW
          > will do all changed files, which is OK. But it is the behaviour during
          > development with the testing server that really matters to me.
          >
          > I must be doing something wrong, either in setup, or whatever. It seems to
          > me
          > that DW randomly:
          > - switches from the testing server as the default destination, to the
          > remote
          > server. Thus clicking PUT followed by F12 often uses the old file, and
          > worse,
          > the remote site now has my recently modified, possibly wrong, page
          > - sometimes saving the file puts it to the testing server. Sometimes, not
          > saving the file, but hitting F12, both saves it and puts it, I think.
          >

• 2. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
            anynick32 Level 1
            I am a beginner at Dreamweaver but not web dev. I am developing with ASP, sometimes ASP.NET, against SQL Server or sometimes Access db's. So I definitely need a testing server, trust me .
            • 3. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
              Level 7
              Then you do need one. Here's the thing - if you expand the files panel, and
              select the testing server icon, then any future uses of GET/PUT will be
              from/to the testing server until you return to the remote site by clicking
              its icon in the expanded files panel. This should resolve the confusion.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:gh0q34$99r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I am a beginner at Dreamweaver but not web dev. I am developing with ASP,
              >sometimes ASP.NET, against SQL Server or sometimes Access db's. So I
              >definitely need a testing server, trust me .

• 4. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                anynick32 Level 1
                OK, well I'll assume then that the times it seems to have just dodged over to Remote without me telling it to are my mistake, and I must have done something somewhere to make it happen.

So, should I just be able to press F12, and have it PUT for me? Sometimes this seems to work, others not. There is no setting in Site maintenance for this on the testing server - does the setting on the Remote server tab, also apply to the testing server? (I have not dared set it on, because I definitely do not want DW to just send anything I save straight to the remote server.).

I have been told that either saving or F12'ing will put the file to the testing server, but this definitely does not happen 100% of the time - though maybe it is only one of these that does it, and sometimes I pick the wrong one.
                • 5. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                  Level 7
                  > So, should I just be able to press F12, and have it PUT for me?

Yes, IF YOU HAVE a) enabled Prompt for dependent files on PUT/GET in the
                  preferences, b) then done a PUT, c) then clicked on the "Don't ask me again"
                  checkbox, and then d) clicked on the OK button. In other words, if you have
                  set the default to put all dependent files without asking, then it will
                  automatically do so when you F12. If not, then you will have to do this
                  manually.

> I have been told that either saving or F12'ing will put the file to the
                  > testing server

You have been told wrong. Saving will ONLY save to the local folder. If
                  you are in a default put of dependent files, then F12 will put the file and
                  its dependents for you.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gh13p0$kp4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > OK, well I'll assume then that the times it seems to have just dodged over
                  > to
                  > Remote without me telling it to are my mistake, and I must have done
                  > something
                  > somewhere to make it happen.
                  >
                  > So, should I just be able to press F12, and have it PUT for me? Sometimes
                  > this
                  > seems to work, others not. There is no setting in Site maintenance for
                  > this on
                  > the testing server - does the setting on the Remote server tab, also apply
                  > to
                  > the testing server? (I have not dared set it on, because I definitely do
                  > not
                  > want DW to just send anything I save straight to the remote server.).
                  >
                  > I have been told that either saving or F12'ing will put the file to the
                  > testing server, but this definitely does not happen 100% of the time -
                  > though
                  > maybe it is only one of these that does it, and sometimes I pick the wrong
                  > one.
                  >

• 6. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                    anynick32 Level 1
                    Yeeeesssss!. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. I nearly threw the keyboard through the screen yesterday.
                    • 7. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                      Level 7
                      Good luck with the keyboard. 8)

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:gh38r8$dg8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Yeeeesssss!. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. I nearly threw the keyboard
                      > through the screen yesterday.

• 8. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                        Level 7

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:03:25 -0500
                        Murray *ACE* said :

> Here's the thing - if you expand the files panel, and
                        > select the testing server icon, then any future uses of GET/PUT will be
                        > from/to the testing server until you return to the remote site by clicking
                        > its icon in the expanded files panel.

Sounds like good advice ! <cheeky g>

--
                        Ronnie MacGregor
                        Scotland

Ronnie at
                        dBASEdeveloper
                        dot co dot uk

www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk

• 9. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                          Level 7
                          Learned from the hard knocks of uploading a file 10 times, and wondering why
                          it isn't showing on the remote server. Then when you discover you are
                          uploading to the testing server, you give yourself a hard knock.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

"Ronnie MacGregor" <NoSp@m.thanks> wrote in message
                          news:MPG.23a10ab732c2fa659896c0@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >
                          > On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:03:25 -0500
                          > Murray *ACE* said :
                          >
                          >> Here's the thing - if you expand the files panel, and
                          >> select the testing server icon, then any future uses of GET/PUT will be
                          >> from/to the testing server until you return to the remote site by
                          >> clicking
                          >> its icon in the expanded files panel.
                          >
                          > Sounds like good advice ! <cheeky g>
                          >
                          > --
                          > Ronnie MacGregor
                          > Scotland
                          >
                          > Ronnie at
                          > dBASEdeveloper
                          > dot co dot uk
                          >
                          > www.dBASEdeveloper.co.uk
                          >
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                            hew_locke
                            Hi - my first time ever on any forum ever!

I also cannot PUT my edited pages up using Dreamweaver 8. Dreamweaver tells me I have suceeded - but is not showing up on my remote site. I have no Testing Server - and I checked to make sure I did not accidentally create one. Dreamwever has tested the connection to my remote site successfully. I have tried using expanded file window and using PUT arrow and also dragging pages across.

I have been updating my website no problem for several years using an earlier version of dreamweaver and an earlier MAC. I've been trying to get this to work on Dreamweaver 8.0.2 for about 3 months now and am going spare, and would be pathetically and tragically grateful for any suggestions

hopefully, Indra
                            Indra
                            • 11. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                              Level 7
                              When you connect to the site, and then expand the Files panel so that you
                              can see the Remote files easily, what is the name of the TOPMOST folder?
                              And what are the names of the other folders you see there on the Remote
                              site?

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

"hew locke" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:gkvlji$931$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Hi - my first time ever on any forum ever!
                              >
                              > I also cannot PUT my edited pages up using Dreamweaver 8. Dreamweaver
                              > tells
                              > me I have suceeded - but is not showing up on my remote site. I have no
                              > Testing Server - and I checked to make sure I did not accidentally create
                              > one.
                              > Dreamwever has tested the connection to my remote site successfully. I
                              > have
                              > tried using expanded file window and using PUT arrow and also dragging
                              > pages
                              > across.
                              >
                              > I have been updating my website no problem for several years using an
                              > earlier
                              > version of dreamweaver and an earlier MAC. I've been trying to get this
                              > to
                              > work on Dreamweaver 8.0.2 for about 3 months now and am going spare, and
                              > would
                              > be pathetically and tragically grateful for any suggestions
                              >
                              > hopefully, Indra
                              > Indra
                              >

• 12. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                                hew_locke Level 1
                                Dear Murray
                                Hmmm... Yes... Strangely the topmost folder there is just named /

Inside are folders called Logs , db and wwwroot. I actually have named wwwroot/ as my Host directory in my FTP settings, as it always did contain my remote files. Hurray, I have managed to drag my edited pages into there, and it has uploaded successfully. This is such a relief - thanks . I guess wwwroot or wwwroot/ should somehow be made the topmost file in order to allow quicker Putting and Putting shortcuts etc.

Indra ( I can't find an emoticon for Relief)
                                • 13. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                                  Level 7
                                  That's what I need. In your Remote site definition, make the Host directory
                                  field be "wwwroot". Now it'll work.

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  ==================
                                  ==================

news:gl2sqa$7eg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Dear Murray
                                  > Hmmm... Yes... Strangely the topmost folder there is just named /
                                  >
                                  > Inside are folders called Logs , db and wwwroot. I actually have named
                                  > wwwroot/ as my Host directory in my FTP settings, as it always did contain
                                  > my
                                  > remote files. Hurray, I have managed to drag my edited pages into there,
                                  > and
                                  > it has uploaded successfully. This is such a relief - thanks . I guess
                                  > wwwroot
                                  > or wwwroot/ should somehow be made the topmost file in order to allow
                                  > quicker
                                  > Putting and Putting shortcuts etc.
                                  >
                                  > Indra ( I can't find an emoticon for Relief)
                                  >

• 14. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                                    Level 7
                                    Sorry - I see, happily, that my post was redundant.

See - the hosting site's root is actually "/" but the WEBSITE's root is one
                                    folder below that.

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

news:gl2sqa$7eg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Dear Murray
                                    > Hmmm... Yes... Strangely the topmost folder there is just named /
                                    >
                                    > Inside are folders called Logs , db and wwwroot. I actually have named
                                    > wwwroot/ as my Host directory in my FTP settings, as it always did contain
                                    > my
                                    > remote files. Hurray, I have managed to drag my edited pages into there,
                                    > and
                                    > it has uploaded successfully. This is such a relief - thanks . I guess
                                    > wwwroot
                                    > or wwwroot/ should somehow be made the topmost file in order to allow
                                    > quicker
                                    > Putting and Putting shortcuts etc.
                                    >
                                    > Indra ( I can't find an emoticon for Relief)
                                    >

• 15. Re: Beginner help - PUT confusion
                                      Level 7
                                      The local site folder should be the folder that contains the site's
                                      "homepage" index file.

The remote folder should also be defined to the folder that contains the
                                      "homepage" index file. it is adjusted on the remote using the "host
                                      directory"

When correctly defined, the local and remote sides of the dw Files Panel are
                                      mirror images, and the "homepage" is in the topmost level.

--
                                      Alan
                                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/