3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2008 12:01 AM by (Aandi_Inston)

Filling in Forms with Typewriter Tool

I have downloaded a state tax form in pdf. When I open the form in Adobe Reader (ver 8.12) and select File, Properties, and then the Security tab, I see that Form Filling is Allowed. According to the Help file on Adobe Reader, if the fields in the form are not interactive (they are not on this form), then I have the following choices:

Noninteractive PDF forms can be printed and filled in by hand. Or, you can choose Tools > Typewriter > Typewriter and use the Typewriter tool to type information over the blank form fields and then print a copy of the completed form.

The paragraph above is copied and pasted from the Help file with no edits by me. When I go to Tools, I do not see an entry for Typewriter. When I go to View and select Toolbars and then select More Tools, I get a selection box. At the bottom of that box is the Typewriter Toolbar. Even though I have checked this box many times before and clicked Okay, it never has a check mark in the box the next time I look at it. And, I do not see a Toolbar for the Typewriter. In the box there is an asterisk and a note that says, "only available when document rights are enabled."

Since the Properties of this document says that Form Filling is Allowed, does that constitute the enabling of document rights? If not, is there something I can do that will let me use the Typewriter Tool to do what the Help File paragraph pasted above says I can do? Any help in pointing me to the the answer to this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Gunter
        • 1. Re: Filling in Forms with Typewriter Tool
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >Since the Properties of this document says that Form Filling is Allowed, does that constitute the enabling of document rights?

No. That only means that if it had fillable fields, you could fill them in.

Unfortunately, those instructions you pasted aren't clear enough. Someone using Acrobat has to enable the typewriter tool first before you can use it.
          • 2. Re: Filling in Forms with Typewriter Tool
            John, I am having the same exact problem as you are. Everything you stated. I cannot find typewriter either. Does anyone have a workaround or a fix? VERY FRUSTRATING. Need to be able to fill in these forms I have downloaded, I do not want to fill in by hand. Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Filling in Forms with Typewriter Tool
              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
              Let's be very clear about this. If you only have Reader you cannot
              fill in a form UNLESS it has been specially prepared by the person who
              made the form.

They can set it up so you can type into fields. OR, they can set it up
              so you can use a special typewriter tool. If they didn't do either of
              these things, they expect you to print out the form and write on it.
              Where appropriate, you might wish to complain to the organisation who
              made the forms.

Aandi Inston