8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2008 8:53 AM by (C_Adrian_Smith)

8.1.2 auto update

Is anyone else having problems with this automatic update?

All the machines at my firm have run the update only for it to fail after it has deleted the previous version.

I have just down loaded a update package and tried it manually with the same result and following errors.

Internal Error 2753 Updater.api_non_opt

Adobe Reader 8.1.2 Setup Failed
        • 1. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
          Have you removed ALL previous version of Reader? Are you attempting to do the install with a firewall, anti-sy/spam/amlware blocker running? Is your Anti-virus running? If you answered yes to this combination of things-turn them off, uninstall ALL previous versions and the Registry entries. Run the Microsoft Install utility (msicuu2.exe). Now try doing a clean install of the Reader 8.1.2 package. Make sure that you download ONLY the Reader-do NOT accept the add-on item. This method applies to Windows XP in particular.
          Good luck
          • 2. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
            Level 1
            Thanks

The problem is that it is an automatic update that is sent out by adobe. The users cannot be expected (trusted?) to do all these.

I will check to see if previous reader versions are left on the system.
            • 3. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
              I am experiencing the same exact problem. After removing all previous versions and manually installing 8.1.2 it fails with this error: Product: Adobe Reader 8 -- Internal Error 2753. Updater.api_NON_OPT

Any ideas??
              • 4. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
                I've run into this issue when deploying 8.1.1 after 8.1 is installed. Reinstall the previous version and then attempt to install 8.1.2. It should install without issue. Hope this helps.
                • 5. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
                  How do youremove entries from the registry?
                  Where do you get the previous version (8.1.1) to reinstall?
                  • 6. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
                    Level 1
                    The only version I can reinstall manually is 8.0. I then removed it but it still won't let 8.1.1 or 8.1.2. We have this pushed out to 400 PCs via a group policy using the .msi file. I've instructed our users not to install the new update but some already have and now I need to figure out how to fix those.
                    • 7. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
                      I have problems with the update as well, but I have no idea how to delete the earlier version(s) completely. It is not possible to delete using the MS delete function.
                      Anyone an idea?
                      • 8. Re: 8.1.2 auto update
                        Level 1
                        Look in your registry using regedit for HKLM\Software\Adobe\Adobe Reader this will list the full versions that you have. Under 8 there is a folder call installer and in there a folder that starts {AC76BA86- the last set of figures gives the current version e.g.
                        {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A81200000003}is Adobe 8.1.2

Download MSIZAP from
                        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fab f38&displaylang=en

For single machines you can run this and delete Adobe then reinstall the new version.

For networks you can create a start up script
                        First
                        Look in your registry using regedit for HKLM\Software\Adobe\Adobe Reader this will list the full versions that you have. Under 8 there is a folder call installer and in there a folder that starts {AC76BA86- the lase set of figures gives the current version e.g.
                        {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A81200000003}is Adobe 8.1.2

create the script with the following line
                        \\DOMAIN.local\??????\MsiZap.exe TW {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A80000000002}
                        where \\DOMAIN.local\??????\ is the location of the program

then
                        msiexec /i \\DOMAIN.local\??????\AcroRead.msi /qb /passive /norestart
                        to install the correct version

and
                        del "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateCheck.exe"
                        to stop the updater causing the problem again