7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2008 1:27 PM by (Steve_Harris)

MSVCP80.dll error after updating Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player

After I updated my Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader 8 automatically updated on February 15, 2008, I began getting the following error messages everytime I start my computer:

MSASCui.exe -- Bad Image
      The application or DLL C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_681e29fb\MSV CP80.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Reader_sl.exe -- Bad Image
      The application or DLL C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_681e29fb\MSV CP80.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I don't know what went wrong or how to fix it. If I click "OK" on the error messages, Windows will go ahead and load--but I'm concerned about this problem. I ran Registry Repair, but it had no affect on the error messages. I tried to run Windows Restore to a time prior to yesterday's updates, but Windows Restore said it couldn't do that. Is my problem with the Adobe Updates? What do I need to do? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: MSVCP80.dll error after updating Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player
          Level 1
          I have now resolved this problem. I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player and Windows Defender. Now my computer starts normally again. Must have been some kind of software conflict.
          • 2. Re: MSVCP80.dll error after updating Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player
            I have uninstalled Adobe Reader 7, installed Adobe Reader 8.1.2, uninstalled Adobe Reader 8.1.2, installed Adobe Reader 8.1.2, uninstalled Adobe Reader 8.1.2, installed Adobe Reader 8.1.2 and still get the same error message when I run Norton WinDoctor."C:\ProgramFile\Adobe\Reader8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" cannot access a necessary file, "msvcp80.dll". Norton shows this as an error 124 times. What do I need to do to fix this? Help please.
            • 3. Re: MSVCP80.dll error after updating Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player
              MSVCP80.dll error when I first installed the Adobe 8.1.2. After deleting and re-installing Adobe 8.1.2 10 times, I still get the error. Someone mentioned installing Reg Cure, so after paying for that, I still get the message. I really need to have this fixed so that I can receive and read pdf files!!!!!!!
              • 4. Re: MSVCP80.dll error after updating Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player
                I contacted MS and they provided a zip file of new MSVCP80.dll and instructions on installing onto my computer. I can send you zip file via email, if you provide your address.
                Note from MS as follows:
                "Based on this situation, I suggest we try to replace the MSVCP80.dll file to test the issue. Please refer to the following steps to check the issue.
                Show file extensions and hidden folders
                ================
                Please perform the following steps to display file extensions and hidden files:

1. Open "My Computer", and click "Tools"->"Folder Options" and click the "View" tab.
                2. Remove the check mark from "Hide extensions for known file types".
                3. Under "Hidden files and folders", click "Show hidden files and folders".
                4. To display other hidden files, clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box and click "OK".

Rename the file C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700\MSV CP80.dll
                ================
                1. Click start, click Run, copy and paste C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700 into the box and click OK to locate the file C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700\MSV CP80.dll.
                If the folder cannot be opened using this method, please locate the file according to the path of the folder.
                2. Right click on the file MSVCP80.dll and choose rename to rename it to MSVCP80.old.
                Replace the MSVCP80.dll
                =================
                1. Please save the attachment MSVCP80.zip of this email to Desktop.
                2. Extract the MSVCP80.zip file.
                3. Please locate the folder C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700.
                4. Copy the extracted MSVCP80.dll file and then paste it to the folder
                C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700
                After that, please restart the computer and then open the programs such as McAfee or Quicken to check if the same error message appears again."

Rich
                • 5. Re: MSVCP80.dll error after updating Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player
                  Rich, please email me the ZIP file.
                  Many thanks
                  Edward
                  • 7. Re: MSVCP80.dll error after updating Adobe Reader & Adobe Flash Player
                    Hi Rich,

I would appreciate a copy of the file.

email is steve@thebcsnetwork.com

Thanks, Steve