29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2008 3:01 PM by (Ed_Parrent)

8.0 Reader won't automatically open

I run Vista and have installed the 8.1.2 reader. When I try to open an online pdf, my IE asks if I want to open or save and I answer open. IE security then asks if I want to allow a program to open the file and I answer yes. It then says I need to download Adobe Reader 7.0, but that doesn't work with Vista. How do I get online pdfs to automatically open with the 8.1.2 reader I have? If I choose to save the file, I can then open it, but I really don't want to save everything I read. Thanks!!
        • 1. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          Is this happening on every site with PDF files, or just one?

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
            Level 1
            I cannot open ANY online pdf files. I can only open pdfs that I have saved on my hard drive, by first opening Adobe reader, then opening the files I have saved.
            • 3. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
              Ok, some things to try.

1. Help > Detect and repair (or Help > Repair something). Any use?

2. No? Look for the preference "Display PDF in browser" (internet
              group). If it's off, turn it on. If it's on, turn it off. Any use?

Aandi Inston
              • 4. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                Level 1
                Hey, it works now! I went to IE tools, then internet options, programs, set programs, set default programs. I had to specify "Adobe 8.0" for how to open .pdf. Before I changed it, it only specified "Adobe" for opening .pdfs. Thanks for your help.
                • 5. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                  Level 1
                  Dana, I have the same problem that you had. After seeing your reply, I went to Internet Options in WXP (not Vista)and did so in both IE and on the Control Panel. However, I seem to have only "Set Programs", not a further option, that you mention, to "Set Default Programs". I am wondering if this is a new Vista setting, and whether there is anywhere else that you know of to set the Adobe 8.1.2 program to opening PDF files? I have had earlier versions of Adobe Reader on board and just upgraded when notified. After that, nothing!
                  Thanks
                  • 6. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                    Level 1
                    I believe that I found a fix for this by going into 'My Computer'>Tools>Folder Options>File Types, where I changed the 'destination' file used to open PDF files from the older Adobe that was listed to the most recently installed version (8.1.2) (which is AcroRd32.exe, not simply AcroRd.exe). This change now shows up when I'm opening a downloaded PDF file; the automatic program to do so is now indicated as the newly installed Adobe 8.1.2 (i.e. AcroRd32.exe). My other PDF files are now opening automatically.
                    • 7. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                      Level 1
                      Peedee's solution worked for my installation as well.

I was getting getting the following error message when attempting to open a linked PDF in IE: "There is a problem With Adobe Acrobat/Reader. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and try again.". A knowledgebase search on the above error msg provides one hit (which is not applicable). Thank you for the solution.

Regards,
                      Erik

PS The above problem was happening under the following system configuration:
                      - Windows XP SP2 that is current (i.e. all patches installed)
                      - IE 7.0.5730.13
                      - Reader 8.1.2
                      Hopefully this will help the Adobe folks figure out what the cause of this problem is...
                      • 8. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                        Level 1
                        Glad to hear that the fix I proposed seems to have worked for you. I'm still not sure that it is a complete fix. I was on the web last night and certain files (maps) created in Adobe 7 would not open for me. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to know if this is directly related to a problem with Adobe 8.1.2 not having a proper capacity to open files created in an earlier version, or what. Hopefully, we will have some sort of response/update from Adobe to correct these various circumstances.
                        • 9. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                          Level 1
                          Hey all.

I am running XP SP2, IE v7.0.5730.11 and now have installed adobe v8.1.1. I still get the file download dialog when i try and launch a pdf from IE. It's fine running Adobe 7. I have checked the File Types setting in Explorer > Folder Options - it's for adobe 8, and cannot explicitly make a setting for PDF files in IE as suggested in Vista. Any other suggestions anyone??
                          • 10. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                            Level 1
                            Steve, after I had difficulty opening PDF files in my browser (SeaMonkey), I went back to Adobe's Support Center and came across a list of files for Reader at: http://www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html.

The last item on this list may help, but I haven't had time to work my way through it. Thought I would mention it.
                            • 11. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                              Level 1
                              Hi - hope it's okay to add to this thread, which I found while seeking help for my similar problem. I have read all the above posts and checked my computer and everything seems to be correct. My problem is than when I try to open a PDF file on a web page, I'm told I need Adobe Reader (which I already have, version 8.1.2). I even tried opening Adobe Reader from my Start menu, just to have it "going" but still can't open the PDF files. I decided to try to download Reader again but when it got to the end of the process I was prompted that I already have the same version and should uninstall it. Is that what I have to do? Thanks for any help.
                              • 12. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                Level 1
                                Steve,

When checking on the file association, make sure that it actually points to the correct executable (i.e. Explorer --> Tools --> Folder Options --> File Types --> navigate to PDF --> Change --> Browse --> navigate to AcroRd32.exe --> confirm all selections until you have exited all dialog boxes). Good luck.

Erik
                                • 13. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                  Level 1
                                  Erik, I'm still having trouble using Reader 8.1.2 to open PDF files in a browser. I have tried doing so in both IE and SeaMonkey (which I use more regularly).

When I access the Tools menu in IE, I go to Internet Options >> Folders >> Programs. But in this window system, there doesn't seem to be any 'Files Types' extension beyond 'Programs'. Are you reaching 'File Types' through the IE Tools menu? I'm left at the 'Programs' window. Is there another route in IE that you are using to get to 'File Types'?
                                  Thanks.
                                  • 14. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                    Level 1
                                    Having continued to have problems opening PDF files in my SeaMonkey browser (with, I was assuming, the Adobe Reader 8.1.2 that I had installed a couple of days ago), I decided to delete the version of 8x that I had on board (using Add/Delete in my Control Panel; but not the plug-in or other related components of Director, etc.). I then re-installed Adobe Reader 8.
                                    Now, so far, the various PDF files that I had bookmarked in my browser are opening straight away. This may be a solution for others who have been experiencing a problem like this, or other problems with the way the Adobe Reader 8x program is performing compared to earlier versions. Hope this helps.
                                    • 15. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                      Level 1
                                      I am running Vista. I do not know how to check the file association. I am running adobe 8.1.2 and I can not open pdf files out of hotmail. Can anyone help?I am using internet explorer.
                                      • 16. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                        Level 1
                                        Dbos, see my earlier post in this string (go there using 'Previous' at the bottom of each page), where I suggest that you can change the file association by going in through 'My Computer >Tools>Folder Options>File Types, where you change the identity of the program associated with PDF files. Also, today, still having certain problems, I deleted AR8.1.2 using 'Add/Delete' (Control Panel) and re-installed the program from the Adobe site. This update now seems to be working properly, so I suspect that there was some sort of problem with the initial download and installation a few days ago.
                                        • 17. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                          Level 1
                                          I have reviewed previous posts. It was suggested to delete and reinstall 8.1.2. I did this with the same results.it has also been suggested to go Internet Explorer > tools > folder Options > file types >navigate to pdf > change> browse > navigate to AcroRd32.exe.

When i go to tools in IE ,My selections become IE > Internet options > Programs > Set Programs > Set Default Programs > Internet Explorer >choose defaults for this program > Set Program associations.However ther is no pdf to associate . I think my problem is Internet Explorer related but I'm lost as to what to do.

I don't know how to find My Computer > tools > folder Options > file types in Vista. Again Adobe reader does not want to download from e-mail.
                                          • 18. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                            Level 1
                                            Dbos, I'm afraid I am not familiar with Vista. I run WXP, and definitely have 'My Computer' as one of the basic items in that software. In WXP, 'My Computer' is listed as an item on the Start Menu, on the upper right side wen it is open, with other items such as 'My Documents'. If it is not there in Vista, perhaps someone else (your dealer) can tell you how to get to it, or to 'File Types'. You have to scroll well down that list of file types to find PDF (the list is alphabetical) and then change the 'destination' file used to open PDF files from the older Adobe 7 that may still be listed (and lost when 8.1.2 was installed) to the most recently installed version (which is AcroRd32.exe, not simply AcroRd.exe). When you do this, and it is not difficult, you will see the icon for the Adobe program shift from the white square with a red linear symbol that was used for Adobe 7 to the all red square that is now being used for Adobe 8. Let us know if you solve your problem.
                                            • 19. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                              Level 1
                                              I am having a similar problem with Adobe Reader 8, IE 7, and Windows XP. I can save but can't open a pdf in the browser except when Reader is open. If it is open, the pdf will open in the browser. If Adobe is closed, the pdf won't open in the browser. Please help!
                                              • 20. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                Level 1
                                                See earlier replies in this string.
                                                • 21. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Thanks, but I have tried everything in this string as well as many other things from several other sites. Any other ideas?
                                                  • 22. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                    (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                                                    >Thanks, but I have tried everything in this string as well as many other things from several other sites. Any other ideas?

Well, there have been at least six entirely different problems
                                                    described by people in this thread. It's surprising that each person
                                                    joining in says in effect "I have the same problem". Given that, I'd
                                                    recommend starting a new topic describing
                                                    (a) your exact symptoms. For example when you say "If Adobe is closed,
                                                    the pdf won't open in the browser." what happens instead? Any error
                                                    messages?
                                                    (b) exactly what you have tried. If you just say "I've tried
                                                    everything" it's very hard for anyone to add anything that can help
                                                    you-

Aandi Inston
                                                    • 23. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                      Level 1
                                                      I am a novice and trying to open a simple attachment - when I select download attachment no estimated time etc shows and the 'paper' just keeps flying! It never opens.....can anyone help please??
                                                      • 24. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                        ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                        Make that seven entirely different problems...
                                                        • 25. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                          Level 1
                                                          For those of you who are finding that Adobe Reader 8.1.2 is not opening as expected, I would refer you to my earleir post, which fixed my specific problem:

I believe that I found a fix for this by going into 'My Computer'>Tools>Folder Options>File Types, where I changed the 'destination' file used to open PDF files from the older Adobe that was listed to the most recently installed version (8.1.2) (which is AcroRd32.exe, not simply AcroRd.exe). This change now shows up when I'm opening a downloaded PDF file; the automatic program to do so is now indicated as the newly installed Adobe 8.1.2 (i.e. AcroRd32.exe). My other PDF files are now opening automatically.

Note, this change was made using 'My Computer', not my browser.

As for having PDF files open in my browser, SeaMonkey, I found that it was necessary, at the sites where I wanted to read their information in a PDF file, to allow a pop-up from that site (you can do this in SeaMonkey for a specific address and not for all).

Hope this helps.
                                                          • 26. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Adobe 8.1.2 will not open from desk top icon or from all programs.
                                                            un installed and re installed Adobe 8.1.2 and still nothing.
                                                            win xp
                                                            • 27. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                              Level 1
                                                              Have you checked to see what the default listing is for PDF files? It must be be changed to Adobe 8.1.2 in 'My Computer'.
                                                              • 28. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Finally! I fixed the problem. Let me explain what the problem was, what did not work, and what finally worked.

I am running Adobe Read 8 on Windows XP SP2 and IE 7. When I tried to open a pdf file in the browser, it would not work and a warning popped up saying that there was a problem with Adobe and that I needed to close Adobe and try again. However, if Adobe Reader was opened first and I tried to open a pdf file in IE, the pdf file would open in IE.

Fixes that did not work:
                                                                1. Default listing set to Adobe 8.1.2/AcroRd32.exe via 'My Computer'>Tools>Folder Options>File Types (it was already set to this)
                                                                2. In Adobe: unchecking "Open pdf in browser", restarting, then checking "Open pdf in browser" (did this several times)
                                                                3. Removing and reinstalling Adobe Reader 8 (twice)
                                                                4. Repairing Adobe Reader 8 (thrice)
                                                                5. Repairing IE 7 (twice)
                                                                6. Running Adaware, Spybot, and NAV scan
                                                                7. Changing permission settings in my registry
                                                                8. Defragging and repairing my registry

Finally, I went into Add/Remove Programs, checked Display Updates, and uninstalled the latest IE 7 update. I didn't record the name of the update, but it was the last update that was automatically installed on Feb. 14, 2008. Ironically, when I removed it, I was given a warning that Adobe 8 might not work if I removed the update. However, after removal it is working fine.
                                                                • 29. Re: 8.0 Reader won't automatically open
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  March 24, 2008
                                                                  In Vista (32) by simply invoking Reader 8 from "Programs ...", then going within Reader to Edit>Preferences>Internet and make sure that the BOX "Display PDF in Browser" is not checked (as a blank), fixed my IE 7 failure to have the browser automatically open a PDF file.

EJPAI