3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2008 10:08 AM by (justin_dunning)

pdf file printing with adobe 8.1.2

I Cannot get my system toprint any pdf file. Dialog box asks if printer is ready. Then say it cannontfind Zapdingbats. Some characters may be not display or print.
      Trying to reinstall the program is rejected with error 1714. I have tried to remove the program as suggested in technotes to no avail.

What next
        • 1. Re: pdf file printing with adobe 8.1.2
          Level 1
          Quick Fix:

Rather than un-install, etc..., all you need to do is change the Comments & Forms drop-down in the Print Dialog window FROM 'Documents & Markup' TO 'Document', and all of your printing woes are resolved. Enjoy and share with others!

Ben Martin
          www.geekzrule.com
          • 2. Re: pdf file printing with adobe 8.1.2
            Level 1
            If my previous instructions were a little un-clear, I apologize. When you click print in Adobe, a window will pop-up. This is called the Print Dialog window. On this window, near the top-right of the window, is a section labeled 'Comments and Forms:' with a box that has a down arrow on it. Clicking this down arrow allows you to change the way that Adobe will handle printing. If you change the selected option in this box TO 'Document', then you will be able to print. So, change it to 'Document', and then click OK; your document should print fine.

This should be the only time you have to make this change, as Adobe will save this setting for future printing.

Ben
            • 3. Re: pdf file printing with adobe 8.1.2
              When a user tries to print a PDF document using Adobe Reader 8.1.1 or 8.1.2, the receive the following error message:
              Do this and be amazed:

"Unable to start print job. Is printer available?

This is persistent for all print queues. In addition, they are able to print if they have another version of Adobe Professional installed.

Root Cause:

This issue occurs because of incorrectly ordering permissions on the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe" folder.

1. Stop inheriting permissions to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe.
              2. Remove all existing permissions to this folder.
              3. Turn permission inheritance back on.
              4. Apply these permissions to all sub files and folders.
              5. Restart Adobe Reader 8 and verify that you can now print.