7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2008 8:50 AM by (Creepy_Gnome)

8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS

I have systems with Reader 8.0.0 installed. When I downloaded the latest DMG for Reader 8.1.2 and run the install it creates a new install next to "Adobe Reader 8" called "Adobe Reader 8_". So now I have Reader 8.0.0 still installed and I also have 8.1.2. This is bad because I have one with known security issues and the latest running side by side.

The 8.1.2 should upgrade the existing one.

Also why does Adobe only release full installs now for Reader it used to a while back release an Update and a Full install.

I tried this Intel 10.4 and 10.5 as well as PPC 10.4 and 10.5 systems all with the same results.
        • 1. Re: 8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Simply remove 8.0.0.

It would have overwritten 8.0.0 if you had used the update feature.

>Also why does Adobe only release full installs now for Reader it used to a while back release an Update and a Full install.

I believe this is one of the few times they've done this. There was a lot to fix.
          • 2. Re: 8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS
            Level 1
            Well that is the obvious solution but I cannot do that. But it is not an acceptable one, and it just shouldn't have to be done.

I have a lot of machines on my network to push an update out to. We block the update feature in Reader to control what releases we give to users.

On Windows platforms Adobe has been clear that version 6 and 7 have to be uninstalled before installing 8. In Mac this is not needed they can co-exist. Also the 8.1.2 version upgrades 8.0 just find in Windows. However it doesn't have the same behavior in windows. Also Adobe provides a nice little tool to allow us to customize the MSI we deploy for Windows so that it can do things like uninstall previous versions if needed. They provide no such tool for the Mac, however for this problem we shouldn't have to UNINSTALL the same major release that this 8.1.2 update is supposed to be patching.

Adobe is very considerate of the Reader in a corporate environment for the IT Admins with command line install switches, tools for customizing the install, etc. However they fail to provide this for any other platform.

I do not know about other companies but most I have been at are very diverse in there network. We have 3 different flavors of UNIX, and 7 different flavors of Linux. We have 2 different Mac OS's, and many different Windows flavors. The only one adobe doesn't play well on is the Mac OS.
            • 3. Re: 8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS
              Level 1
              >The 8.1.2 should upgrade the existing one.

It should, but it doesn't, and hasn't for quite some time.
              • 4. Re: 8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS
                Level 1
                Well it is a bug. I reported it to Adobe but who knows when they will get around to fixing it in a product they give away for free.

I guess we will just remove all of Adobe Reader versions from our Mac's. We will just use the built in Apple Viewer which supports reading PDF files. If Adobe can't making it easy why bother dealing with it if you don't have to.
                • 5. Re: 8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS
                  Level 1
                  It's not a bug. It's a conscious decision. Best submit a feature request.
                  • 6. Re: 8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS
                    ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    >We will just use the built in Apple Viewer which supports reading PDF files.

If that works for you, why do you have Reader?

For most, Preview does just fine.
                    • 7. Re: 8.1.2 Doesn't Upgrade 8.x on Mac OS
                      Level 1
                      Expert User:

Oh its a bug, because if it was a properly implemented feature it wouldn't just make a strange app bundle with an underscore, plus it should inform the user before proceeding that something unexpected is going to happen. So it is a bug it is either a bug in the fact that it doesn't upgrade or that it improperly creates the new app bundle and doesn't notify the user.

Graffiti:

Actually having all systems using the same version of the same PDF viewer on the network is best. Now we will have two different PDF viewers to support, which is not in the IT Departments best interests.

It just goes to show since Apple doesn't care about making their products fit within an enterprise why should the vendors who write software for their products.