2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2008 5:26 PM by (Grimaldo_Moses)

File name too long? I can't open, copy/cut, nor rename files.

Level 1
      Please help me out. The Acrobat reader does not allow me to open, copy/cut, nor rename "long" file names.

I used to be able to do so, or at least to rename them and then open them.

I am Master's degree student and I have too much information I can't aford to loose.

Please help.

Thank you.
      Moses
      mosesg@cantv.net
        • 1. Re: File name too long? I can't open, copy/cut, nor rename files.
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          Adobe Reader doesn't copy, cut, nor rename any kind of file, ever. Can
          you let us know the exact symptoms you are seeing?

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: File name too long? I can't open, copy/cut, nor rename files.
            Level 1
            Ok, what I am refering to is that the files will not open as I try to do so from Windows, and as I try doing so from the Reader it says "not a valid file name".

It used to hapen that if I had saved a file with a long name, subseqently I was not able to open it nor copy it from windows, so I used to rename it (using Windows of course) with a shorter name (the extension was allways intact).

I have no problen opening any other file or even other pdf's, but now that I am trying to access some particular files I find myself with this problem (that I did not have before; actually I had been able to open many of these files before).

I think and am allmost certain that it is a problem with the Reader and not Widows, because the only program I have updated is the Reader.

Thank you.
            Moses

PS: before you ask, the files have no special characters (actually I am not allowed to save file names with these characters as you must know) and the all have the *.pdf format.