5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 6:09 AM by (Dean_Moore)

damaged file and can't be repaired

When adobe comes up to read something it says the file is damaged and could not be repaired. I uninstalled and then reinstalled and even rebooted and it's not helping.
        • 1. Re: damaged file and can't be repaired
          Level 1
          sounds like a problem with the file, not the application. Do you get this error with all PDFs?
          • 2. Re: damaged file and can't be repaired
            Level 1
            Hi, I found out from a computer tech person that it isn't Adobe that is the problem , but rather what you said that it's the fle itself because I can open other things in Adobe without a problem (although the people that I do work for that posted the link will never admit that it's the file). Thank you!
            • 3. Re: damaged file and can't be repaired
              Hi all:

I too am having some problems in this regard. I have attempted to download several PDF's from NASA's Technical Reports Server--some appear to be corrupted (atleast according to Adobe Reader 8.1.2.)

The link to the specific paper I am interested in is:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19710019929_1971019929.pdf

If someone else could take a shot at it and see if the document itself is messed up, or perhaps my version of Adobe Reader has gone buggo (which seems unlikely as it opens up plenty of other PDFs just fine.)

I currently have an email inquiry into NASA to see if the files are damaged at their end.

Ty Moore
              • 4. Re: damaged file and can't be repaired
                MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                Ty,

Did you wait for it to download? It is a 29.77MB file. You may have
                tried to open it before finishing the download.

Mike
                • 5. Re: damaged file and can't be repaired
                  Level 1
                  Hello Mike,

Yes, I did wait for the download to complete, but I have a high speed cable modem connection that allows download speeds of 900+ KB/s (about 10 MBaud) so the total download time ought to be near 30 seconds or less...

I did seem to find a solution to this problem though--suggested to me by a Mr. Nicholas Fry from NASA Outreach--when clicking on the "View PDF" have the browser save a link to the hard drive--and since my browser only has the option of saving it as an HTML file, go ahead. And then once it is saved, rename the resultant HTM file with a .PDF extension--Adobe will then read the result.

Kind of a pain in the neck--but "...you gotta do what you gotta do!"

Ty Moore