14 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2008 1:44 AM by (Sybille_Kalbitzer)

Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download

I am trying to install Reader 8.1.2 and have deleted all previous versions of Reader, including tmp files. It seems to download and install fine, including a message that the download was successfully completed. However, when I try to open Reader, I get a message "Adobe Reader 8.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenicence."

I've tried this four times with the same results. The only clue I have is that when downloading, the bar stops at 92% and then goes into the install mode.

I'm installing on a Dell Dimension 4550 with Pentium 4.

I had no trouble installing Reader 7.0, but apparently this is no longer available for download, so I'd like to resolve this and use V. 8
      Thanks,
      Michael
        • 1. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
          Level 1
          >I had no trouble installing Reader 7.0, but apparently this is no longer available for download,

it's still available.
          • 2. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
            Level 1
            Can you provide a link for 7.0 for Windows. I can't find it anywhere on Adobe's site.
            Thanks
            • 3. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
              Michael, I'm having the exact same problem with Reader 8.1.2 and get the same "encountered a problem" message. I was able to use Reader by creating a new user but switching users evey time I need to use the program is a nuisance.

I'm on a Dell Dimension 4600

Does anybody have another solution?

Thanks, Leann
              • 4. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                Level 1
                >I can't find it anywhere on Adobe's site

On the Reader download page, click the link that says 'choose a different version'
                • 5. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                  I'm on Windows XP/SP2. I'm having a similar problem. I updated to 8.1.2 .It downloaded and claimed to install successfully.

When launched the license agreement screen pops up for a split second, and immediately generates an 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'. When I close that window, I see an Adobe Reader error dialog 'The License Agreement was not accepted. The application will now quit'.

I tried uninstalling it using Add/Remove Programs. Interestingly, the old version 7.1.(something) was the only version that showed up. I tried removing that and got an error indicating that it wasn't installed. This tells me the upgrade install probably wasn't fully successful.

Next attempt - I relaunched the installer and did remove - appeared to be successful. Then I relaunched the installer again and did a full install - also appeared to be successful. I verified Adobe Reader 8.1.2 shows up under ARP (that's Add/Remove Programs). So far so good. Relaunch from the Start menu. Same problem as stated above.

Please help, I'm unable to read any PDFs at this point.

Thanks,
                  Brad
                  • 6. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                    I have: installed adobe reader 8.1 and the patch for 8.1. Windows xp home on a Compaq d310v.

My problem: application will not open. in troubleshooting I get the message to contact Adobe to determine if I have a valid patch -
                    AC 768A86-7AD7-0000-2550-7ABC40000000. I cannot remove the program and cannot activate the clean up utility. There are no other Reader programs installed. Error 1714 also shows up. I also tried to download 8.1.2, hoping to get the bad one removed, but this failed at 92%.
                    • 7. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                      Interesting that each of us seem to have slightly different problems trying to install 8.1.2
                      I tried once more, after closing my Earthlink toolbar and disabling antivirus. Same results. Once download bar hit 90%, it began to install and gave me a successfully installed message. However, it crashes when I try to open the program.
                      So, I gave up and reinstalled V 7
                      I will monitor this to see if anyone can offer a solution. There are features on 8, especially opening packaged pdfs, that I would like to use.
                      • 8. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                        I regret the moment I thought that installing Adobe reader 812.I had had a blissful relationship with all previous versions and apart from the interfering busybody (ie account control) giving me dire warnings about known compatibility problems - which ive not had - all was fine ; until I tried to download and install 812.I have had the same experience as others with the processgoing smoothly.However,each time ive ried to use it sends a record up with the message "invalid plugin detected adobe willcease workining.I disabled the plug ins and still he is on strike.Indeed,On one occasion I think he must have had his militant friends round as not onlydid he refuse to work but my whole system refused to work and I ended up having to disconnect the power.I would have made him redundant but I had already sacked his predecessor.I suppose I could try to tempt him back with higher wages but the real issue is that the longer people carry on using older versiond the more likely it is that version 7 will fall in with the wrong crowd and be a likely candidate for corruption.(why did he have a copy of woodworker monthly and has been talking to fellow conspirators about wooden ponys?).You have to retain a sense of humour but to end on a serious note - if solution is not found soon I can envisage the trial seperation becoming a permanent divorce!
                        • 9. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                          It has now moved on to the Mac. I use OS 10.4.11 with a power chip. Downloaded 8.1.2 and now get the message the Adobe Reader could not install, must quit. What do we all do now?
                          • 10. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                            (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                            WHICH of the many plug-ins for Adobe Reader did you disable? All of
                            them? If so, how, exactly?

Aandi Inston
                            • 11. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                              Help, installed 8.1.2, Shows on the desktop BUT will not open... HELP. I created another user account that will net me open BUT why can't I open in my regular admin account?

HELP & Thanks ED
                              • 12. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                                I'm on Windows XP/SP2. I'm having a similar problem. I updated to 8.1.2 .It downloaded and claimed to install successfully.
                                Next attempt - I relaunched the installer and did remove - appeared to be successful. Then I relaunched the installer again and did a full install - also appeared to be successful. I verified Adobe Reader 8.1.2 shows up under ARP (that's Add/Remove Programs). So far so good. Relaunch from the Start menu. Same problem as stated above.
                                • 13. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                                  Level 1
                                  I solved my problem by using system restore to the date before the patch to 8.1 was downloaded; then I was able to remove 8.1 and then download and install 8.1.2 (which works).
                                  Of course, this screwed up a couple of programs and the printer. These are also finally resolved.
                                  • 14. Re: Reader 8.1.2 won't open after download
                                    Acrobat Reader 8.1.2 will not install on Mac OS X10.4.6
                                    I have downloaded Acrobat 8.1.2 twice - once on Firefox and once on Safari - in both cases the installer will not open 'because it is not supported by this Architecture'. Now I have 2 installers and 386.dmgs on my desktop. I'am exasperated.
                                    Firefox gave some instructions after the installer had downloaded - but - the instructions were useless. It said something about a message in yellow at the top. There was nothing yellow at the top. Unless thee is a secret top somewhere.