This content has been marked as final. Show 7 replies
Adobe Reader 8.1.1 is "corrupted"----8.1.2 is supposed to remedy this.
I USE GOOGLE
1. Type-----"Windows Installer Cleanup Utility"
2 When "Results" appear--look for "support.microsoft.com""DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"----click
3. When page opens---scroll down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Package now"------click (You can read instructions or not)
4. When "File Download-Security Warnings" appear----click "RUN"
5 After download completes--Open "PROGRAMS" and find "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"------click
6 When box appears--look for 8.1.1 (or Adobe 8.1.1)-----click to "
CAUTION----HIGHLIGHT 8.1.1 ONLY
7. At bottom of box, "REMOVE"-----click
8. Now you can check removal by looking at "CONTROL PANEL" "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"
9. Now download Adobe Reader 8.1.2
I have the same problem as Josh, but when I followed your remedy instructions, I could not complete the task because of an Active X control issue. I'm stumped!
Check this out, you need to repair Windows before you can install the
Sorry, check THIS out:
See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311269
Josh... I had the same problem. I did not really know of my problem until downloading the "fillable" forms from the IRS, then noticing they would not fill in. I finally realized the f in f1040 means it's a fillable pdf. I have xp, and had Adobe 8.1.1 and an update for it listed in the add/remove programs utility in the Control Panel.
When trying to:
1. Open Adobe Reader in Start/All Programs/Adobe Reader
2. Download Adobe version 8.1.2 from the Adobe website
3. Remove Adobe 8.1.1 from the add/remove programs utility in the Control Panel...
I received this error message:
"This package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."
Reading in these forums I came across the "Windows Install Clean Up" utility idea and decided to try it, as the manual removal of 8.1.1 seemed too weird. I had no problems installing the utility as I saved it to the desktop, double clicked the .exe file, then completed the installation. When I opened the utility for use, Adobe 8.1.1 was right at the top. I selected, then "removed" it. I closed that program and headed straight for the add/remove programs utility in the Control Panel. Adobe 8.1.1 and the update were both gone. Then I downloaded 8.1.2 from Adobe's site, installed it, and everything is "kosher" again. The IRS files I got before suddenly became "fillable" as well. Good luck to all. These computer problems will go away someday once all the software/hardware/O.S. people get on the same page (which probably will take legislation to secure). ...Jerry
Using Windows Installer Cleanup worked great for me - ONE THING though - after I'd used it to remove Reader 8.1.1. I successfully installed 8.1.2 but still couldn't open a pdf link I constantly access (got a File is Damaged message). This was one of several links in my "Favorite Places." Wondering if my computer was hanging on to bad info, I deleted everything in my Temporary Internet Files and, lo and behold, was able to access said link with no problem. Just a thought....