4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 11:57 AM by (Gabriel_Quillander)

Problems with Adobe 8.1.2 after System Restore

The OS I am using is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I'm using a Medion Computer but I'm not using the printer presently, but it's a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 820Cse Professional Series. My computer has 512MB of RAM.

Moving right along...

This quarter, I had the necessity of installing Sibelius 5, which slowed my computer down a lot (because the minimum amount of RAM it needs is 512MB). As soon as I finished with the class that needed me to use Sibelius, I uninstalled it. After that, I found that the computer was still not working quite as fast as it used to, so I used system restore to a checkpoint before I installed Sibelius (early February). Following this, I was using Mozilla Firefox to open a pdf file but I kept receiving the error message "Acrobat cannot be launched" or something like that.

I attempted to install Reader 8.1.2, but kept getting the error message: "Error 1714: The older version of Adobe Reader 8.1.2 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." Then, I tried to uninstall Reader 7.0 using the "Add or Remove Programs" from the Control Panel. That wouldn't work. My last resort was to delete all files and folders that were involved with Adobe Reader 8.0. 7.0, or 6.0 then run RegMech (Registry Mechanic) to clean the registry and finally install Reader 8.1.2. However, I still get the same error message (1714).

I apologize, I realize this isn't exactly a short question...

Thank you.