4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2008 12:42 PM by (Adam_Olshefsky)

MS Word Save As PDF - large files error saves the day, but I can't duplicate it

I saved a large MS Word 2007 file as a PDF and a message came up saying that this would take a long time and that it would be faster if I saved the file without all of the accessibility features. The message asked if I wanted to do this, I said yes and the resulting file was perfect! Yes, PERFECT! All of the fonts were fine, the table of contents worked (you could click on the headings and be taken to the right section) and the file size was 5 times smaller than the original word file.

This happened twice in a row. Then, on my last MS Word document, it did not and the resulting PDF file was 10 times larger than the MS Word file. I tried to turn the accessibility option off, but this didn't help. I turned the bit-mapped fonts off, which helped in file size, but ruined the look of the document. I tried printing to a PDF, which helped on file size, but the table of contents didn't work.

How can I get this message to reappear or what settings can I change to get this to work (i.e. to get a 3 MB MS Word file saved as a 1 MB PDF file with the right fonts and a working table of contents)? I know Adobe Reader can do it.
        • 1. Re: MS Word Save As PDF - large files error saves the day, but I can't duplicate it
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >I know Adobe Reader can do it.

Nyope.

Reader has nothing to do with it.

To find out what's happening, we need to know how you are making the PDF. For starters, you can't "save" to a PDF from Word 2007. Do you mean "convert" "print" or something else and do you have Acrobat (not the free Reader)?
          • 2. Re: MS Word Save As PDF - large files error saves the day, but I can't duplicate it
            Level 1
            I have Adobe Acrobat 8.0 and Reader 8.0. In MS Word 2007, if I click Save As, I can select the file type as PDF. I do not know which program is allowing this (Word, Acrobat or Reader). When I select PDF, my Save As window changes slightly, giving me options, such as saving in Standard or Minimum size formatting (and no, minimum size formatting doesn't perform the way I need it to). I can also click on an Options button, which is where I can choose to remove the accessibility options as I mentioned previously.

So, sorry, I didn't know that Reader was not the program performing this. It must be Acrobat.

I'll rephrase my statement: I know a program that I'm using at the time I save a Word 2007 file as a PDF has the capability to save a PDF exactly as I need it.
            • 3. Re: MS Word Save As PDF - large files error saves the day, but I can't duplicate it
              I installed the plug-in from Microsoft that allows you to save any Office file as a .pdf file (did that this morning). After the plug-in was installed, you can go to Save As... and have the option to save as a PDF file. It gives you two options when saving: "Standard" for quality printing, or "Minimum size" for publishing online. My problem is that using either version converts a 34k Word file to a 370K PDF file. I would think that the "Minimum size" would create a smaller file size, but it did not in my case. The document that I was converting from .doc to .pdf was all text (no images), so maybe that was why I didn't see a difference. I sure would like to know how to have the PDF files be closer is size to the original Word file size.
              • 4. Re: MS Word Save As PDF - large files error saves the day, but I can't duplicate it
                Level 1
                Yes, I tried the minimum size option as well, but it does not represent my fonts correctly (for example, Bold is no longer Bold). For me, it did reduce the file size significantly, but I need the fonts to look the same.

The thing is, when I received the warning message, it (Word, Reader, Acrobat???) was able to create a perfect PDF file that was as small as the minimum size option without any degradation in quality. What I want to know is either: How do I set that option or how do I get that warning message to appear again?

I have to say, knowing for a fact that this can be done, but not knowing how to do it is frustrating.