9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2008 6:42 PM by (Catherine_Piechura)

Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall

When I attempt to view or download an Adobe document, the computer freezes. I first tried to reinstall Adobe 8.1.1 and got a message that the version on my computer could not be removed. I then tried to uninstall Adobe 8.1.1 using Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel and when I clicked "Remove" I got the following message:

"The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."
        • 1. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
          Level 1
          read the other threads with the same error.
          • 2. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            > read the other threads with the same error.

They're kinda hard to find since the search function here sucks.
            • 3. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
              Level 1
              >They're kinda hard to find since the search function here sucks.

Works ok for me. I just searchrd for "patch package"
              • 4. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Could you post the poor guy/girl a link rather than just saying "read the other threads..."?

Seems pointless to even post that. Basically, you can post those same words in ALL the threads. There's not a lot that hasn't been asked before.
                • 5. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
                  Level 1
                  >There's not a lot that hasn't been asked before.

true. I should just stop answering the questions and leave people to flail about on their own. Pox on them if they don't know how to search.
                  • 6. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
                    please help, I have the same problem with the patch package when uninstalling my a: drive light comes on and drive makes searching noise then pops up with

"The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

except I downloaded the 8.1.2 update. when a program has to use adobe, I get a message that says adobe reader is not working properly and when I go to install it says that it is working.
                    • 7. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
                      madero and Michael,

I was having the same problem and this helped: (c&p from an earlier thread) from Timothy D White - 4:52pm Mar 20, 08 PST

go to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the download link, and download it to your desktop. The link looks like this:

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now.

Double click the icon that is on your desktop to install it. Startt eh program through "start", then "Programs".

Find Adobe reader in the list, highlight it and click the "Remove" button.

Got to www.adobe.com and download Adobe Reader to your desktop, and install it. You should be good to go.

good luck

:)
                      • 8. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
                        Level 1
                        Madero & Michael
                        I use "GOOGLE"
                        1. Type in "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
                        2. When "results" appears, look for "support.microsoft.com" DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY" and "CLICK"
                        3. When page opens, scroll down to "DOWNLOAD THE WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY PACKAGE NOW" (you can read instructions or not)
                        4. When "File Download-Security Warning" box appears, click "RUN"
                        5. After download completes, Open "Programs" and look for "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"--click to open.
                        6 When box opens, look for 8.1.1 (or) Adobe 8.1.1 and "click" (Highlight)
                        7. At bottom of box--"Click" "REMOVE"
                        8. Go back to "Control Panel"-"ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"----Adobe Reader should have been removed.
                        9. Now "Download" Adobe Reader 8.1.2
                        P.S. TO "EXPERT USER" your EGO is much larger then your brain. People want help-NOT Smart Remarks!
                        • 9. Re: Adobe 8.1.1 freezes, cannot uninstall
                          Thank you Mr.Lambert and Evelyn Comber. I have been reading all through the internet how to uninstall this darn Adobe. Thank you for taking the time to help and offer advice on how to make it go away. It helped and now I'm up and running. Thanks again.

Cathy Piechura
                          Strling Heights, MI