4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2008 4:23 PM by ~graffiti

Unable to add addtional toolbars with 8.1.2

Hello - We're rather frustrated. I uninstalled old Reader this AM and totally downloaded new version to see why we're not able to add toolbars to our reader. We can see the other tools available, check that we want them and close out of tools, only to not find the toolbars activated. With or without a document open, it seems. I have opened a document that is known to allow fillable forms, but I still can't get the typewriter tool to even display on my toolbar line. Can you direct me as to the problem I might have? We're running XP SP2 one professional, one home and neither of us can get the toolbars to add. We're not opening this in a browser either.
      I have scoured the design center for help, read all of the tutorials and still am flummoxxed.

Thanks for your help!
        • 1. Re: Unable to add addtional toolbars with 8.1.2
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Maybe you can be more specific about what toolbars you are expecting.

You mention the typewriter toolbar but, you can't get to that using Reader unless someone using the Pro version of Acrobat has specially enabled the file.

Did you perhaps have an old version of Acrobat before and not Reader?
          • 2. Re: Unable to add addtional toolbars with 8.1.2
            Level 1
            Thanks for replying. We specifically wanted the typewriter toolbar to write over a form that is not interactive. According to the document properties, form filling was allowed, so our home office told us to use the typewriter tool. We had Reader 7.0 and upgraded to the 8.1and were still unable to use the function, so I uninstalled that whole Adobe and downloaded the entire version again, thinking that we may have had a corrupted version. It still didn't work. I was also trying to get the comment and markup toolbar to open. But it wouldn't either. So I would assume that needs a document that was created in Pro to work as well?

Appreciate your input.
            • 3. Re: Unable to add addtional toolbars with 8.1.2
              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
              You can only use the typewriter tool in a document that is specially
              prepared. So this sounds normal.

Comment and marking toolbar, too - document must be specially
              prepared. So this sounds normal.

Form filling allowed means you can type into the blanks, if specially
              prepared. Can't type? Not prepared. So this sounds normal.

Aandi Inston
              • 4. Re: Unable to add addtional toolbars with 8.1.2
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                >So I would assume that needs a document that was created in Pro to work as well?

You assume correctly.

It not only has to be created in Pro, they have to enable it as well (that's simply an extra step in the process).