8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2008 6:01 PM by (Carl_L._Lambert)

Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start

Adobe Reader installs but will no run. When starting the reader after the install is finished I get the message (adobe reader 8.1 has encountered a problem) The reader then shuts down. How do I get past this problem?

I am using Windows XP home on a Power Spec computer.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
          I have the same problem. Have installed and deinstalled so many times..... What a mess. I never used to have Adobe problems. They ought to have a support line until midnight. I can't always reach someone during the day. I work. Please let me know if a solution is found. Is there a lower version that I can install without being a computer junkie? That was what used to be so easy about Adobe - free and no hassle. Now, I'm stuck.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
            Ray Santhouse- 9:08pm 3/26/08 dst
            Have exact same problem. Can I download an earlier version that is reliable some where?
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
              Same problem.

Acrobat 7.0 was working and I installed 8.0 and it crashed. Removed it went back to 7.0.

Tried to update to 8.1.2 and it crashes upon opening.

Went through the automatic uninstall and the manual uninstall and still get:

AppName: acrord32.exe AppVer: 8.1.0.137 ModName: msvcr71.dll
              ModVer: 7.10.3052.4 Offset: 00010428

Acrobat reader used to be bulletproof but this version does not play well with others.
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
                I have the exact same problem. Version 7 was working fine. I installed Version 8.1.2 and it will not open. I get Adobe Reader 8.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. I have uninstalled and installed Version 8.1.2 a number of times. with the same result. I have a Dell Dimension 5100 series running XP completely up to date with latest updates. I have a very lightly loaded system with 77% of my hard disk free (54.41 GB).
                Errors:
                appname: acrod32.exe
                appver: 8.1.0.137
                modname: msvcr71.dll
                0ffset: 00010428
                Please give me a fix or version 7 to reload. I am a student and use the Adobe Reader every day.
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
                  tried 8.1.2 update but any program that uses adobe says it is not working, tried to uninstall my a: drive light comes on then pops up this patch package could not be opened. won't install says it's working properly. I'm at wits end.
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
                    I can use it on my wifes screen but not mine wont even open on mine and im the "owner"
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
                      Level 1
                      TomDonnelly,try www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/reader_archive.html
                      • 8. Re: Adobe Reader 8.1 will not start
                        Level 1
                        Gerald,
                        ADOBE READER 8.1.1 has been "corupted"
                        ADOBE READER 8.1.2 is supposed to remedy this
                        1. I use GOOGLE"--type in "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
                        When "results" appear-look for "support.microsoft.com""DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"---CLICK
                        2. When page opens, scroll down to "DOWNLOAD THE WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY PACKAGE NOW" (You can read instructions or not)
                        3. When "File Download-Security Warning"box appears-click "RUN"
                        4. After Download completes-Open "Programs" and look for "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"--CLICK TO "Open"
                        5. When box opens look for 8.1.1 (or) Adobe 8.1.1-and "Click"(HIGHLIGHT)DO NOT HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PROGRAM!
                        6. At bottom of box-Click-"REMOVE"
                        7. Check-"Control-Panel"(Add/Remove Programs)--ADOBE SHOULD HAVE BEEN REMOVED
                        8.NOW download ADOBE READER 8.1.2