4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2008 11:33 AM by TCGTech

Printing with red background

Hi,

I have adobe acrobat 8.1, and it is printing everything (logos, pictures, etc) with a red background. It seems like several people have encountered this before, and the only solution that I could understand is to install Acrobat 6.0 for printing purposes. Is there any fix out there that actually solves the problem with acrobat 8.1? I am printing to HP Color Laser Jet 2550.

thanks!
      doris
        • 1. Re: Printing with red background
          Level 1
          We have the same here and our workaround was to select "print as image" in "Advanced Print Setup".

Any other solution would be appreciated.
          • 2. Re: Printing with red background
            TCGTech
            We have the same issue. We are using Adobe Reader 8.1.2 on both Tiger 10.4.11 and Leopard 10.5.2. We are printing to an HP Color LaserJet 2820 printer. If we install Adobe Reader 7.0.9 that works just fine.

I found this archived thread:
            Ronald Conti, "Adobe Reader 8 printing problem on a Mac" #1, 7 Apr 2007 10:55 am
            and they say that upgrading to 8.1.1 is supposed to fix the problem. However we've tried 8.1.1 and 8.1.2 and we still have the problem.

Here is the official Adobe Tech Note on the issue.
            http://www.adobe.com/go/kb400692

We have not tried the "print as image" yet.

I am hoping that Adobe can help resolve this soon.
            • 3. Re: Printing with red background
              Nemuri13 Level 1
              It is not an issue for Adobe to resolve. It is an issue with your printer and the company that manufactured the printer needs to update their driver. Did you try solution #2?
              • 4. Re: Printing with red background
                TCGTech Level 1
                Then why did they post the 8.1.1 update saying that it should fix the problem when it doesn't? And the Tech Note itself says that, "Acrobat 8 has a problem" as if to say that it IS an issue for Adobe to resolve or at least provide a workaround for, which they did.

Anyway...
                Solution #2 does not work in this case because we are dealing with Adobe Reader and not Acrobat Pro. The Tech Note specifically says that #2 is for Pro only. However I checked anyway to see if the option is available and it is not.

That rules out Solutions #1, #2 and #4. I have tried Solution #3 and that DOES work. So that is at least something.

I looked for the latest HP drivers for the HP Color LaserJet 2820 and the newest Tiger drivers are from July 31st 2006 (v8.1). I tried those and they did not work. There is also a Leopard driver v8.2 from March 17th, 2008. I downloaded and installed the v8.2 Leo update, and that seems to fix the issue at least for the first print. After that the printer wouldn't even see any jobs sent to it after that. So Leopard users might be ok with just a driver update...

I then downloaded and installed a Firmware update for the HP printer. This brought the firmware version from 2005 up to 2007 (the newest). FYI the Firmware updater app requires a Tiger machine and will not work on Leopard.

After installing the latest firmware, I printed the pdf test page using Adobe Reader 8.1.2 on Tiger 10.4.11 and it finally worked. So now Tiger users can print again too. I tested from Leopard again and that seems to work fine now too. I am still waiting for feedback from the users to see if any other pdfs give them problems. If they do have more red printing issues I told them to just use the Print as Image option or to print to a different printer.

I think Adobe should update their Tech Note to include Solution #5: Update the firmware of the printer.