10 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2008 8:49 AM by (Hans_Schulz)

Removing Adobe

I still have some Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on my PC that I cannot remove.In add/remove it is still there but with no link to remove.Sometimes when opening a pdf it says unable to launch adobe.How do I completely remove the Adobe Reader 8.1.1.I am running Winxp pro.Thax.
        • 1. Re: Removing Adobe
          When I try to open emails that need Reader, I sometimes get: cannot launch Acrobat Reader. When I click on my desktop icon to launch, I get a similar message and try to re-install but not able. (There are times when I notice a pdf in my email and it can be read).

I have Adobe Reader 8.1.2 and cannot remove in add/remove. There is a link but when I go thru the steps, it finally tells me: A process is running that cannot be shut down by Setup. Close all applications & run Setup again or restart computer & run Setup again. Once I click whatever pops up, then get: Fatal Error during installation. HELP!!
          • 2. Re: Removing Adobe
            Level 1
            Jennifer,
            Have you removed Adobe Reader utilizing "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY" ?
            • 3. Re: Removing Adobe
              Level 1
              No, I did not use windows installer cleanup utility. There was a Remove button in add/remove programs but when I used that the uninstall could not be completed.

Is what you mentioned need to be purchased?

Why are some emails with pdf's opened but others are not? I don't know what the difference is from one pdf to another.

I feel so frustrated by the things I don't know about the technical aspects. I love the online opportunities but feel I don't know enough to best utilize the internet.

Thank you for your response and hope to get educated here.
              • 4. Re: Removing Adobe
                Level 1
                Jennifer,
                1.Open your Browser-I use "Google"
                2. Type in "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
                3. When results appear-Look for "support,microsoft.com. DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"-----CLICK
                4. When Page opens, scroll down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Package Now"------CLICK
                (You can read instructions or Not)
                5. When "File Download-Security Warning" Box appears,--CLICK "RUN"
                6 After download completes, Open "PROGRAMS" and look for "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"-----CLICK to open
                7. When "box" opens, look for 8.1.1 or any Adobe Reader-----CLICK (HIGHLIGHT)
                CAUTION----DO NOT HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PROGRAM----CAUTION
                8. At bottom of "Box"----CLICK "REMOVE"
                9. Go back to "CONTROL PANEL-ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" Adobe Reader should not be there.
                10. Now you should be able to Download the New Adobe Reader 8.1.2
                CAUTION----Download from ADOBE only
                • 5. Re: Removing Adobe
                  Level 1
                  Hey,What about me???? JK..I ran that program,thanx,and it did remove it from the add/remove.BUT,for example,I went to get an irs form and clicked it and the error message:"Could not launch adobe acrobat" still popped up.If I move the pdf to my desktop and right click, foxit is there and it shows up in foxit and then I can copy it..Thanx.
                  • 6. Re: Removing Adobe
                    RE: Carl L. Lambert - 10:17pm Apr 24, 08 PST (#4 of 5)

I'm having the same difficulty getting Adobe Acrobat 8.1.1 to uninstall, followed your suggestions from the above-mentioned post, and got the following error message when trying to remove the program:

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

Any ideas out there as to how to overcome this??? I am getting very frustrated trying to get this very necessary program to work!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
                    • 7. Re: Removing Adobe
                      Level 1
                      Brian,
                      Were you able to download "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP" from the MICROSOFT WEBSITE?
                      • 8. Re: Removing Adobe
                        Level 1
                        Removing Adobe

Carl,
                        It seemed to download okay, but I still can't get the program to uninstall or a new version of Acrobat to install. Thanks for your follow up and help.
                        • 9. Re: Removing Adobe
                          Level 1
                          Brian,
                          I should have gone further---AFTER YOU DOWNLOADED "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"--DID YOU LOOK IN "PROGRAMS" FOR "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"-THEN "OPEN" IT, AND ONCE IT OPENED,- COULD YOU FIND "ADOBE 8.1.1 OR ANY ADOBE READER in the "BOX" that appeared--then CLICK-"REMOVE"??
                          • 10. Re: Removing Adobe
                            Thanks Carl Lambert,
                            for your clear instructions on how to get rid of my
                            "corrupted" Adobe Reader 8.1.1.

Thanks again,
                            ............Hans Schulz