3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2008 10:55 AM by jwoozy

Display relationships between objects

jwoozy
      I've been tasked/ proposed to deliver a new project involving two displayObjects... say 2 squares. Between those squares, I need to show a connecting relationship of hierarchy. So, I need to have a visual line connecting the 2 objects.

Does anyone know if there is already a class for this in Flex or what I might use to demo this quickly. Never done this sort of data visualization before, but the math can't be to hard.
        • 1. Re: Display relationships between objects
          jwoozy Level 1
          Update: I think this would involve using the mx:Point object(to calculate the distance btw) in relation to an mx:Rectangle or other displayObject. I think then I'd be able to use flash drawing api to link the two objects together. If that sounds wrong, post a better alternative.
          • 2. Re: Display relationships between objects
            Level 7

"jwoozy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g96kmn$80o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I've been tasked/ proposed to deliver a new project involving two
            > displayObjects... say 2 squares. Between those squares, I need to show a
            > connecting relationship of hierarchy. So, I need to have a visual line
            > connecting the 2 objects.
            >
            > Does anyone know if there is already a class for this in Flex or what I
            > might
            > use to demo this quickly. Never done this sort of data visualization
            > before,
            > but the math can't be to hard.
            >
            I think there is something here http://flexbox.mrinalwadhwa.com/, but I
            don't have time to search through it for you.

HTH;

Amy

• 3. Re: Display relationships between objects
              jwoozy Level 1
              Flexbox is cool. I think pretty much figured this out though. Thanks, might post back with the code later.