5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2008 10:13 AM by (Cyrus_Poole)

Adobe Reader Update 8.1.2

My system configuration consists of the following;

Windows XP/Home w/SP2, 1.67 Mhz CPU, 2-80-GB Hard Drives, 512-MB ram, 1-Lexmark X84/85 USB printer;

The Adobe reader software runs properly and reads PDF files w/o a problem.

However, whenever the update notice is received to install 'Update 8.1.2', the screen indicates installation is in progress but it always ends with a message saying 'installation failed' w/o any further explanation, therefore, I have no way to point to any specific issue that may be preventing a successful update.

Additionally, I have run my registry cleaner/fixer software (Advanced Registry Optimizer) to try and make sure the environment is clear of possible obstructions but it has not prevented the update error from occurring.

This cycle has repeated itself well over a month now, with attempts estimated at 20-times without any change in response nor any other error messages.

If this sounds familiar, please review and reply.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader Update 8.1.2
          Level 1
          My system configuration consists of the following;

Windows XP/Home w/SP2, 1.67 Mhz CPU, 2-80-GB Hard Drives, 512-MB ram, 1-Lexmark X84/85 USB printer;

The Adobe reader software runs properly and reads PDF files w/o a problem.

However, whenever the update notice is received to install 'Update 8.1.2', the screen indicates installation is in progress but it always ends with a message saying 'installation failed' w/o any further explanation, therefore, I have no way to point to any specific issue that may be preventing a successful update.

Additionally, I have run my registry cleaner/fixer software (Advanced Registry Optimizer) to try and make sure the environment is clear of possible obstructions but it has not prevented the update error from occurring.

This cycle has repeated itself well over a month now, with attempts estimated at 20-times without any change in response nor any other error messages.

If this sounds familiar, please review and reply.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Reader Update 8.1.2
            Le 28 Avril 2008

Hello

I send you this e-mail because because I did not find an answer in the forums ADOBE about the problem I encounter

I have a SONY laptop under WINDOW XP2 which was equipped with series of version 7 of ADOBE READER.
            To upgrade this version, I downloaded the new version official ADOBE READER 8.1.2 in french
            I execute the file relating thereto, and I have a message that pops up:
            "Could not write value in the key
            \ Software \ Classes \ AcroIHelper.AcroIEHLprObj.1.1
            Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support. "

There is a user account and it is well stated as administrator of the computer
            I also tried to run this file with right click and run as ... (Administrator) but it is still impossible to install the new version

Could you help me to resolve this problem

I thank uou in advance

Jean Claude FLOUR

jcnflour@orange.fr
            • 3. Re: Adobe Reader Update 8.1.2
              My question is the same regarding unable to verify installation of Update ver. 8.1.2. Have Windows XP, sp2, normal system components. Whenever I use Reader, update message automatically pops up. Follow all directions, but after verifying install goes through about 80%, says install failed. Again this has been going on for a month or more.

Appreciate any help to resolve this problem, it is becoming extremely annoying to interrupt reading any pdf file by trying to complete the update.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Cyrus Poole
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader Update 8.1.2
                Ditto Arthur Herron -

I've had the same experience. Is anyone working on this problem?
                • 5. Re: Adobe Reader Update 8.1.2
                  Level 1
                  Re: Problems described, I tried to remove the Adobe program using the Windows method, and it did not work. Also tried my registry cleaner, etc.

To solve the problem, I used a new program recommended from one of my 3 PC mags called Revo Uninstaller (www.revouninstaller.com). This did uninstall the Adobe program!

I then went to the Adobe website, and installed their latest version. Unfortunately, trying for an update again did not install properly.

Reading in on of my magazines that Adobe had a major update fix, I downloaded it, and when run, when I check for updates it states "no updates available". I hope that is a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Cy Poole