1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2008 6:39 PM by (Carl_L._Lambert)

Adobe Reader - cannot delete, or download updated version

I currently have (supposedly) Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on my laptop. When I try to open a pdf file the following screen comes up:
      Invalid plug-in detected, Adobe Reader will quit.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      In control panel when trying to change, or uninstall, Adobe Reader 8.1.1 the following screen comes up:

Patch package could not be opened, verify that the patch package exists, and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid window installer patch package.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
      And finally, When trying to download the new Adobe 8.1.2 the following screen appears:

Error 1714. The older version of Adobe reader 8.1.2 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

If anyone can help me with this situation I would I would very much appreciate it.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Reader - cannot delete, or download updated version
          Level 1
          Robert,
          Adobe Reader 8.1.1 has been corrupted and must be removed---8.1.2 is supposed to correct this.
          1. Open Browser-
          2. Type in "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility"--CLICK
          3. When results appear-Look for "support,microsoft.com. "DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"----CLICK
          4. When page opens-scroll down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Package Now"-----CLICK (Read instructions or not)
          5. When "File Download-Security Warning" box appears--CLICK--"RUN"
          6. After download completes--Open "PROGRAMS"-look for "Windows Install Cleanup"---CLICK to open
          7. When "Box" opens--look for 8.1.1 or Adobe 8.1.1 and Click (Highlight)
          CAUTION-----DO NOT HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PROGRAM-----CAUTION
          8. At bottom of "Box"----CLICK---"REMOVE"
          9. Go Back to "CONTROL PANEL"-"ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" Adobe reader should not be there.
          10. Now Download ADOBE READER 8.1.2 from ADOBE WEBSITE