4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2008 7:35 AM by Newsgroup_User

Major frustration; no tears YET

LReber
      Hi - I posted a message last night - 22 hours ago - on the Active HTML category and haven't gotten a reply. I know it's a constant problem for new users to connect to the testing server using IIS and Windows Vista and DW CS3 and MS Access. (Not to mention that it's a holiday weekend.) I have tried multiple fixes and posted a detailed list of what I have tried over the past 2 weeks. After reading the 'I'm in tears' posts I have to say I feel the same way! About 10 years ago I created a website using a combination of Winword 97, I think and tweaking the code in a text editor and have gotten a fair number of compliments. It uses tables and still works well. Transitioning to DW up to this point has not been too bad - usually I just have to re-read the tutorial - but I have hit the wall with trying active pages. That's my main reason for creating my site - I have about 4 years working with Access, and like it.

Well, I can't link to my post but the title is: ASP on Localhost / LiveData View or browser - Long and it is currently the 6th item down the list in the Dynamic HTML General Discussion forum.

Can somebody please, please take a look and let me know what else to try? Thanks - Lisa.

PS - I have also posted the message on the IIS forum but I suspect am running into the holiday weekend problem there too.
        • 1. Re: Major frustration; no tears YET
          Level 7
          > Well, I can't link to my post but the title is: ASP on Localhost /
          > LiveData
          > View or browser - Long and it is currently the 6th item down the list in
          > the
          > Dynamic HTML General Discussion forum.

Can't speak for others here but I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

--

Walt

"LReber" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g9ct4p$3i1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi - I posted a message last night - 22 hours ago - on the Active HTML
          > category
          > and haven't gotten a reply. I know it's a constant problem for new users
          > to
          > connect to the testing server using IIS and Windows Vista and DW CS3 and
          > MS
          > Access. (Not to mention that it's a holiday weekend.) I have tried
          > multiple
          > fixes and posted a detailed list of what I have tried over the past 2
          > weeks.
          > After reading the 'I'm in tears' posts I have to say I feel the same way!
          > About
          > 10 years ago I created a website using a combination of Winword 97, I
          > think and
          > tweaking the code in a text editor and have gotten a fair number of
          > compliments. It uses tables and still works well. Transitioning to DW up
          > to
          > this point has not been too bad - usually I just have to re-read the
          > tutorial -
          > but I have hit the wall with trying active pages. That's my main reason
          > for
          > creating my site - I have about 4 years working with Access, and like it.
          >
          > Well, I can't link to my post but the title is: ASP on Localhost /
          > LiveData
          > View or browser - Long and it is currently the 6th item down the list in
          > the
          > Dynamic HTML General Discussion forum.
          >
          > Can somebody please, please take a look and let me know what else to try?
          > Thanks - Lisa.
          >
          > PS - I have also posted the message on the IIS forum but I suspect am
          > running
          > into the holiday weekend problem there too.
          >

• 2. Re: Major frustration; no tears YET
            Level 7
            Neither do I. Sorry.

What is the Active HTML category?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
            news:g9d1bn$7j6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Well, I can't link to my post but the title is: ASP on Localhost /
            >> LiveData
            >> View or browser - Long and it is currently the 6th item down the list in
            >> the
            >> Dynamic HTML General Discussion forum.
            >
            > Can't speak for others here but I haven't a clue what you are talking
            > about.
            >
            >
            > --
            >
            > Walt
            >
            >
            > "LReber" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:g9ct4p$3i1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Hi - I posted a message last night - 22 hours ago - on the Active HTML
            >> category
            >> and haven't gotten a reply. I know it's a constant problem for new users
            >> to
            >> connect to the testing server using IIS and Windows Vista and DW CS3 and
            >> MS
            >> Access. (Not to mention that it's a holiday weekend.) I have tried
            >> multiple
            >> fixes and posted a detailed list of what I have tried over the past 2
            >> weeks.
            >> After reading the 'I'm in tears' posts I have to say I feel the same way!
            >> About
            >> 10 years ago I created a website using a combination of Winword 97, I
            >> think and
            >> tweaking the code in a text editor and have gotten a fair number of
            >> compliments. It uses tables and still works well. Transitioning to DW up
            >> to
            >> this point has not been too bad - usually I just have to re-read the
            >> tutorial -
            >> but I have hit the wall with trying active pages. That's my main reason
            >> for
            >> creating my site - I have about 4 years working with Access, and like it.
            >>
            >> Well, I can't link to my post but the title is: ASP on Localhost /
            >> LiveData
            >> View or browser - Long and it is currently the 6th item down the list in
            >> the
            >> Dynamic HTML General Discussion forum.
            >>
            >> Can somebody please, please take a look and let me know what else to try?
            >> Thanks - Lisa.
            >>
            >> PS - I have also posted the message on the IIS forum but I suspect am
            >> running
            >> into the holiday weekend problem there too.
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Major frustration; no tears YET
              LReber Level 1
              Sorry to be unclear. Below is the text of an as yet unanswered post I made to the DW Support forum "Dynamic HTML General Discussion," where it was the 6th item down the list as of last night. I should have just re-posted it here to begin with. Please let me know if you need further information. Thanks - Lisa
              - - - - -
              Well, it seems like I've tried everything, and I've found a lot of good resources out there. I started out following the DW articles/tutorials "setting up an ASP development environment" and "Developing a Web Application with Dreamweaver." I am running Windows Vista Business and IIS 6.0 (or 7.0 - I'm getting completely confused - see below) and DW CS3, and MSAccess 2007. Anyway, I have looked at the asp forum (forums.iis.net) and found a good list on the subject and tried as many things as possible. One of those is the blog at
              http://weblogs.asp.net/steveschofield/archive/2007/03/17/localhost-connection-issues-list. aspx
              by Steve Schofield Among the items suggested were to check:

Make sure WWW service is enabled (it is)
              ping localhost (works)
              turn off IE friendly errors (no change)
              check for problem in Netscape & Firefox (no browser works)
              Open a command prompt, type netstat -an -p tcp and see if 0.0.0.0:80 listed or something with :80 listed. (nothing)
              Check antivirus software - I made sure DW CS3 & MS Access have program permissions allowed in McAfee firewall
              Looked for errors in the event log (nothing changes)
              Install and run Process Monitor (see below)

Another blog suggested the following: %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config -section:asp -scriptErrorSentToBrowser:true --- changed from false. That was rather scary and beyond me, though I think I did find the correct place to edit it. But maybe not!

Several items of note:
              http://127.0.0.1/ shows a graphic for IIS7
              System and Maintenance | Administrative tools shows IIS 6.0
              An asp file I created while following a tutorial called timetest works fine at http://localhost/dreamweaver/CafeTownsend/timetest2.asp
              While working in IIS manager I found the error message text under ComputerName|Websites|Default Website|ASP - Debugging properties, and changed it to read "An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the @#$% system administrator" and this is the message that appears when I try to view my page in the browser or livedata view.
              I have checked permissions for the wwwroot/dreamweaver/website files to ensure Read & Write are enabled
              Ditto in IIS Manager for Default Website

Process monitor shows the following (my guess at a significant result):
              Operation: FASTIO_NETWORK_QUERY_OPEN
              Path: C:\Users\Me\Documents\Dreamweaver Sites\Cafe Townsend\viewJS.asp
              Result: FAST IO DISALLOWED

It seems like there should be a listing with Path: C:\Inetpub etc. but at this point logic no longer seems useful.

I know this is a common problem and it may be caused by Vista but as you can tell, I have tried many, many fixes and had zero success.

Thanks for your help.
              • 4. Re: Major frustration; no tears YET
                Level 7
                Okay, first, most of us don't know anything about the forums you're
                mentioning here. We're just on this forum and we read the posts in various
                different programs, so the way the threads are listed will be different for
                different people. It would be best if you would just ask the question *here*
                clearly.

Second, a subject line that only describes your emotional state is not
                helpful! The purpose of the subject line is to allow volunteers to scan the
                many different threads and find the ones in their area of knowledge. If/when
                you start a new thread, a subject line that mentions the problem would
                really help you to get more useful answers.

Third, I've read your post a couple of times now - your second post which
                was supposed to clarify the problem - and I still can't even tell *what* the
                problem is. You say that you've "tried everything" - tried everything for
                what?? What is the problem you need help with?

--
                Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                --

"LReber" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g9e3db$br3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Sorry to be unclear. Below is the text of an as yet unanswered post I made
                > to
                > the DW Support forum "Dynamic HTML General Discussion," where it was the
                > 6th
                > item down the list as of last night. I should have just re-posted it here
                > to
                > begin with. Please let me know if you need further information. Thanks -
                > Lisa
                > - - - - -
                > Well, it seems like I've tried everything, and I've found a lot of good
                > resources out there. I started out following the DW articles/tutorials
                > "setting
                > up an ASP development environment" and "Developing a Web Application with
                > Dreamweaver." I am running Windows Vista Business and IIS 6.0 (or 7.0 -
                > I'm
                > getting completely confused - see below) and DW CS3, and MSAccess 2007.
                > Anyway,
                > I have looked at the asp forum (forums.iis.net) and found a good list on
                > the
                > subject and tried as many things as possible. One of those is the blog at
                >
                > http://weblogs.asp.net/steveschofield/archive/2007/03/17/localhost-connection-is
                > sues-list.aspx
                > by Steve Schofield Among the items suggested were to check:
                >
                > Make sure WWW service is enabled (it is)
                > ping localhost (works)
                > turn off IE friendly errors (no change)
                > check for problem in Netscape & Firefox (no browser works)
                > Open a command prompt, type netstat -an -p tcp and see if 0.0.0.0:80
                > listed or
                > something with :80 listed. (nothing)
                > Check antivirus software - I made sure DW CS3 & MS Access have program
                > permissions allowed in McAfee firewall
                > Looked for errors in the event log (nothing changes)
                > Install and run Process Monitor (see below)
                >
                > Another blog suggested the following: %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set
                > config -section:asp -scriptErrorSentToBrowser:true --- changed from false.
                > That
                > was rather scary and beyond me, though I think I did find the correct
                > place to
                > edit it. But maybe not!
                >
                > Several items of note:
                > http://127.0.0.1/ shows a graphic for IIS7
                > System and Maintenance | Administrative tools shows IIS 6.0
                > An asp file I created while following a tutorial called timetest works
                > fine at
                > http://localhost/dreamweaver/CafeTownsend/timetest2.asp
                > While working in IIS manager I found the error message text under
                > ComputerName|Websites|Default Website|ASP - Debugging properties, and
                > changed
                > it to read "An error occurred on the server when processing the URL.
                > Please
                > contact the @#$% system administrator" and this is the message that
                > appears
                > when I try to view my page in the browser or livedata view.
                > I have checked permissions for the wwwroot/dreamweaver/website files to
                > ensure
                > Read & Write are enabled
                > Ditto in IIS Manager for Default Website
                >
                > Process monitor shows the following (my guess at a significant result):
                > Operation: FASTIO_NETWORK_QUERY_OPEN
                > Path: C:\Users\Me\Documents\Dreamweaver Sites\Cafe Townsend\viewJS.asp
                > Result: FAST IO DISALLOWED
                >
                > It seems like there should be a listing with Path: C:\Inetpub etc. but at
                > this
                > point logic no longer seems useful.
                >
                > I know this is a common problem and it may be caused by Vista but as you
                > can
                > tell, I have tried many, many fixes and had zero success.
                >
                > Thanks for your help.
                >
                >