3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 2:21 AM by DeCisse

How to re-enable disabled components?

I have some form of Adobe Reader on my Mac. Every once in a while, the Adobe update process tries to update Reader from v8 to a newer version. The whole installation process starts, then a bit later an error message states that some components were disabled and the update failed. It says to go to Adobe.com for help on how to re-enable disabled components. So here I am in the forum section. I was not able to locate where to find the procedure to re-enable disabled components. Can someone please help? Anything would be appreciated:) Thanks!
        • 1. Re: How to re-enable disabled components?
          DeCisse

The same problem and question for me.

The error-message  says also that I can uninstall the program and install it again.

Wat is (on a mac) a safe way to uninstall the adobe reader 9.1?

Many thanks.

• 2. Re: How to re-enable disabled components?
            emark1

a quick search of the forums would show the probable answer to be this:

Adobe STILL doesn't support case-sensitive file systems on the mac that was introduced around 2003/2004.  While no warnings are supplied with the download of Reader, it is common knowledge w/ the CS3 CS4 products that this bug/oversight/issue occurs.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2038787#2038787

---

as far as uninstalling, dragging the app to the trash will take care of getting rid of it, but if you wanted all traces gone then you need to also:

1) drag the app to the trash

2) locate preferences file inside Boot Disk/Library/Preferences

3) locate folder inside Boot Disk/Library/Application Support

4) locate preferences file inside Home Folder (your user folder ) /Library/Preferences

5) locate folder inside Home Folder (your user folder )  /Library/Application Support

You may also want to do the same for the "Air" folders which is just a folder in the Application directory labeled "Adobe" inside of which is a file "Acrobat.com.app"...  Also, delete outdated Updater folders, or get rid of the updaters completely if you're not keeping flash and shockwave or other adobe products...?

• 3. Re: How to re-enable disabled components?
              DeCisse Level 1

Many thanks for your help.