8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2008 11:41 AM by (MARILYN_HENDRY)

Remove reader 7.0

Have been trying to update Reader for months. It won't install because it can't UNinstall its previous self. I have done everything suggested, starting of course with add/remove which says it can't be removed because it can't seem to find its original installation file or some such thing.

I have developed a hatred of Adobe products that rivals my hatred of george w. bush, and that ain't small.

I resent having to use software that wraps itself around the inner workings of my computer making it virtually impossible to remove...and then to be told that I have to PAY for support.

If anyone knows how to remove this piece of garbage so that I can install the, by now, many iterations past upgrade, please let me know. Once I can stop grinding my teeth, I will thank you profusely.

This is a Dell 4600, 512 mg RAM, 120 gb, HP Photosmart C4180 printer (though why that is important I do not know of course), XP Pro sp 2.
        • 1. Re: Remove reader 7.0
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >I resent having to use software that wraps itself around the inner workings of my computer making it virtually impossible to remove...and then to be told that I have to PAY for support.

Why do you feel that you "have" to use it? There are other PDF readers out there that are free.

In the meantime, try running the MS installer cleanup utility to fix the current problem.

The above advice is free. ;)
          • 2. Re: Remove reader 7.0
            Level 1
            Every pdf file on the internet comes with a little download button to make it easy because "you must use Adobe Reader to open this file." No one ever tells you there's an alternative, least of all Adobe. So now you've got this software and it keeps nagging you to upgrade. Well, I will investigate other ways to open pdf files, but I would like the nagging to stop and apparently the only way to do that is to remove Reader.

I am on page 2 of 5 of the MS installer cleanup utility. It is ludicrous to expect ordinary users of computers to go through that to remove software, but if it is the only way, I will drudge my way through until the bitter end. It will probably take me days. All of my temptations to buy other Adobe software will forever be stained by this experience. And I did so want Photoshop.
            • 3. Re: Remove reader 7.0
              >No one ever tells you there's an alternative, least of all Adobe.

Well, yeah. Why would they?

Sorry you're having such a bad time. It's not the norm.
              • 4. Re: Remove reader 7.0
                Level 1
                Thank you for your ear...there are bigger problems I know...just feeling frustrated not being able to get outside and garden.
                • 5. Re: Remove reader 7.0
                  Level 1
                  Cheryl,
                  1. Open "Browser"
                  2. Type in "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
                  When "results"appear, look for "support,microsoft.com DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"---Click
                  3. When page opens, scroll down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now"--click (you can read instructions or not)
                  4. When "File Download-Security Warning" box appears---click "RUN"
                  5. After download completes--Open "Programs" and look for "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP"---click to OPEN
                  6. When "box" opens, look for 8.1.1 or ADOBE that you want to remove and "click" (Highlight)
                  7. At bottom of "Box"----click "Remove"
                  8. Go to "CONTROL PANEL"-"ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"-Adobe reader should have been removd.
                  9. Now "Download" Adobe Reader 8.1.2
                  I FOUND IT EASY AND FAST TO COMPLETE-----from a "BUSH" supporter
                  • 6. Re: Remove reader 7.0
                    That's what she's trying Carl.
                    • 7. Re: Remove reader 7.0
                      Level 1
                      Graffiti,
                      Cheryl says that she is in step 2 of 5 of MS installer Cleanup-I can't figure what steps she is using-I thought my instructions would be easier to follow.
                      • 8. Re: Remove reader 7.0
                        FANTASTIC!!!!AFTER MY 1714 ERROR AND UNABLE TO INSTALL 8.1.2 AND WOULD NOT TAKE OUT THE 7.O INSTALLED IN MY XP...I RESORTED TO MY SERVER (RR.COM)THEY TRIED TO JUST UNINSTALL THROUGH ADD AND REMOVE. ADOBE WANTED TO CHARGE ME TO HELP....COULD NOT JUST TELL ME HOW....THANK YOU FOR YOUR "HOW TO DO" IT WORKED PERFECTLY. I GUESS YOU WORK IN THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY TO KNOW THIS....I AM 72 YEARS OLD AND WHAT I LACK IN EDUCATION I HAVE THE TENACITY TO HELP ME THROUGH ANY THING...MARILYN HENDRY