1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2008 2:24 PM by (Geoff_Wass)

Blank pages when reading Acrobat 7 documents in Reader 8.1.2

I have dozens of PDF documents that can be viewed using Reader 7.x However, when I try to view them with Reader 8.1.2 the pages appear blank or nearly blank (a few characters may appear). Other users in my office have the same problem. The only common feature is we are all using Windows XP SP2 or SP3.

I have tried reinstalling. I have followed one of the Knowledgbase articles to remove registry settings and to run the repair for Reader 8.1.2, but that did not work.

Sometimes (not always), as I navigate around these blank documents, I will get an error message. I may get one or more of these messages:

-- Cannot extract the embedded font 'IEAEPH+Helvetica'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

-- An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem.

-- Wrong operand.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions on how to clear this up! Reverting permanently to Acrobat Reader 7 doesn't make sense to me.

Thank-you in advance for your help.

--
      Geoff Wass
        • 1. Re: Blank pages when reading Acrobat 7 documents in Reader 8.1.2
          Level 1
          I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have with this issue. I have tried to find some sort of pattern between those documents I can view and those I cannot. I have found:

-- it is NOT the size of the document

-- among the problematic documents, the application, the PDF Producer and version of PDF varies so it does not seem to have anything to do with that. In case it does, here is what I have found after checking 16 documents:

These cannot be viewed (app - PDF producer - PDF version):

PScript5.dll Version 5.2 - Acrobat Distiller 6.0 (Windows) - 1.4
          PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2 - Acrobat Distiller 7.0.5 (Windows) - 1.4
          PScript5.dll Version 5.2 - Acrobat Distiller 7.0 (Windows) - 1.4
          HP PDF Formatter version 3.2.0.805 - Adobe PDF Formatter version 3.2.0.805 - 1.4
          Framemaker 7.1 - Acrobat Distiller 7.0.5 (Windows) - 1.6
          Acrobat PDFMaker 6.0 for Word - Acrobat Distiller 6.0 (Windows)

These CAN be viewed:

PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2 - GPL Ghostscript 8.15 - 1.4
          QuarkXpress(tm) 6.5 - QuarkXpress(tm) 6.5 - 1.3

Thank-you in advance for your help!!

--
          Geoff Wass