5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2008 11:20 PM by Bernd Alheit

How To Print PDF Only? NOT to View It.

What I would like is to permit people to print a document but NOT to view them. (we have a printer that seals the print out into a letter before anyone can read it)

So this is the solution I came up with: I decided to make the file open only with a password. So now someone would have to know the password to open the file. However the same password is also required to print the document. The solution I am looking for is this : either printing of the document should not require a password (So anyone can print but cannot view) OR printing of document should require a separate password so people who can print cannot view a document.

What I was able to do so far was this :
      1) I went to File-> Properties->Security Tab-> Document Security Section-> Security Method drop down-> Selected Password Security-> Clicked on Change Settings then checked "Require password to open document" and entered a Document Open Password.

This has a problem : it has the same password for viewing and printing a document so someone who can print the document can also view it. That is not feasible. Is there any way of allowing people to print the document but not to view it?

Currently I am using WIN XP and I am using a browser to download the document (it has an open option) but we ask the end user to only save it and NOT open it.
        • 1. Re: How To Print PDF Only? NOT to View It.
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          > What I would like is to permit people to print a document but NOT to view them. (we have a printer that seals the print out into a letter before anyone can read it)

What happens when they print it to another printer?
          • 2. Re: How To Print PDF Only? NOT to View It.
            Level 1
            When I print the letter is sent to an HP 4250 printer which is attached to "print mail folder". It takes the letter printed on special paper and then seals the page into an envelope (kind of like the w2 forms and other bills you get with perforated edges). They can print to another printer which does not seal the letters which would compromise the privacy of the pdf document but we are trying to make it difficult for the "printers of letters" (not impossible) to read the pdf.

So to recap we would like to have a way of preventing people from reading a pdf document but allow them to print it to a printer. That is what we have thought of uptil now but can't think of anything better.
            • 3. Re: How To Print PDF Only? NOT to View It.
              You can add to every page a black form field with the property "visible but doesn't print".
              • 4. Re: How To Print PDF Only? NOT to View It.
                Level 1
                I am sorry what is this black form field? I have acrobat professional 8 on windows xp. I looked up "black form field" in adobe help but didnt or was not able to find a way of adding this black form field. Could you be more precise? Do I open this in Adobe Livecycle and then add a form field? Ok I went into forms from the menubar and added a text field and then right clicked and and in the common properties tab I see selections like "Hidden but printable" (that is what I want, I would like to print it but I dont want the user to see it) How does it help with what I want though? I can still open the pdf and view it. I would not like them to view the pdf but just print it.
                • 5. Re: How To Print PDF Only? NOT to View It.
                  Create a form button with Tools > Forms > Button Tool. In the properties of the button set the fill color to black and set the property 'Visible but doesn't print'. Then resize the button to the size of the page.