3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 8:29 PM by (Herb_V_B)

Font problem

I have an application written in ASP.NET, which generates a PDF version of the HTML page that appears on screen using a 3rd party component (ExpertPDF html2pdf). The fonts are not embedded in the pdf.

When I generate the PDF from one computer, the system uses TimesNewRomanPSMT as the PDF font, while on another computer the Microsoft Sans Serif font is used (instead of Times New Roman). Some characters, therefore, appear incorrectly.

AFAIK, this tool requires Adobe reader to be installed for it to work, so I this problem *might* be related to the Adobe Reader installation and configuration. Therefore, some questions about this problem:

1) What is the TimesNewRomanPSMT font? Where is it found on my hard disk, and why is this used instead of the desired Times New Roman?

2) How come does one PDF use a serif font, while the other a sans serif font? Both computers use Reader v8 on Microsoft windows

3) Does Acrobat specify the "default font" to be used, when generating a PDF?

• 1. Re: Font problem
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          It really sounds like you need to ask the folks at expert PDF how to remedy this. It's a font embedding issue.

It's all in the creation of the file, not a Reader issue.
          • 2. Re: Font problem
            (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
            >AFAIK, this tool requires Adobe reader to be installed for it to work

Seems not especially likely. Reader has no tools or interfaces to help
            a PDF creator, and isn't for server use. So it's unlikely to be
            connected.
            >
            >1) What is the TimesNewRomanPSMT font? Where is it found on my hard disk, and why is this used instead of the desired Times New Roman?

A font you might or might not have. You must have it somewhere if the
            creator embeds it but otherwise it could be missing.

Adobe Reader, on display, would pick a suitable substitute.
            >
            >2) How come does one PDF use a serif font, while the other a sans serif font? Both computers use Reader v8 on Microsoft windows

Not related to Windows; check the PDF creation software.
            >
            >3) Does Acrobat specify the "default font" to be used, when generating a PDF?

There is no such concept; all fonts must be named and there is no
            default. There are rules for what to do if a font is missing.

Aandi Inston
            • 3. Re: Font problem
              Level 1
              Web/HTML pages do not contain fonts, so there is no font to be
              embedded. For any given text, they may specify a font to be used IF
              AVAILABLE on the system where the page is being viewed. They may also
              specify second, third and more choices, in sequence. If none of the
              named fonts is available, the browser will select whatever default
              font has been specified by the user. Failing a user specified default,
              the browser will have come with specified defaults. Typically,
              browsers have separate default fonts for fixed-width, serif, and
              sans-serif, if the html code indicates a preference at that level. It
              may also specify different fonts for different languages or languages
              groups.

Your application (ExpertPDF?) then has its own choices to make.

When the resulting PDF is ultimately read with Reader, a number of
              things might happen if a specified font isn't available; Reader might
              use one of its Multiple Masters to simulate the font, or it might use
              your operating system's font substitute list.

The number of possible combinations and results is large!

- Herb