11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2008 5:51 PM by ~graffiti

Error 1714

While trying to update to Reader 9 the installation stalled. On trying to re-install I get message "Error 1714. The older version of Adobe Reader 9 cannot be removed. Contact your Technical Support Group"
      Any suggestions?
        • 1. Re: Error 1714
          error 1714--
          I ALSO GOT THIS 17I4 'MESSAGE'...WHO THE HELL IS MY 'TECHNICAL SUPPORT GROUP' AND WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ...IS IT A BUG? I NEED QUICK ANSWERS TO THIS AS I CAN'T READ PDF'S WHICH ARE COMING AT ME FROM EVERYWHERE....I NEED TO INSTALL A LEXMARK PRINTER I'VE JUST BOUGHT BUT THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE ON A PDF AND THAT'S ONLY ONE PROBLEM...COME ON ADOBE ..LETS HAVE A SOLUTION THAT WORKS FAST
          • 2. Re: Error 1714
            MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            John,

This is a user to user forum. Shouting (typing in all caps) and using
            inappropriate language is not likely to endear you to fellow users who
            might be able to help you.

Please calm down. Tell your OS and your version of Reader and perhaps we
            can help.

Mike
            • 3. Re: Error 1714
              Level 1
              Hi Mike,

I persume that your remarks were directed to John Ryan and not myself!

I am operating Windows XP Version 2002 SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 6000.

I was updating Adobe Rev 6 to Rev 9 when the installation stalled.

John Porter
              • 4. Re: Error 1714
                John A,

You are correct, I was replying to John Ryan.

Here is a link that might be helpful to your problem:

Mike
                • 5. Re: Error 1714
                  Level 1
                  Mike,

I have solved the problem by downloading and running the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility mscuu2.exe.

Many thanks for your help.

John Porter
                  • 6. Re: Error 1714
                    Mike,

I am having the same Error 1714 problem - however, when I download msicuu2.exe and try to run - it does not allow me to chose any applications. It skipps past that option, so nothing happens and the problem remains.

I have downloaded msicuu2.exe several times with the same results.

Thanks for your help.
                    Terry Williams
                    • 7. Re: Error 1714
                      Terry,

Give this help file a look:

and/or

Mike
                      • 8. Re: Error 1714
                        Hi Mike

I have tried all of the above and still no joy. I downloaded the msicuu2 utility and this works but doesn't see anything regarding Adobe Acrobat, or anything else that relates to Adobe, so I am not able to remove it.
                        I have since tried to remove any instance of Adobe from my PC via redgedit and then restarted and tried the installation again, still no joy.
                        I am begining to think that I am going to have to reformat my PC and start from scratch, this really annoys me as it is all caused by a simple Adobe program.
                        Please tell me there is another way to solve this.

Best regards
                        Deon Venter
                        • 9. Re: Error 1714
                          Deon,

If you have run the MS Installer cleanup and there is no sign of Reader
                          or any Adobe product and cannot install Reader you have a problem, that
                          is more likely due to an error with your Windows setup. Re-installing
                          Windows aounds like a good idea, if you cannot go restore to a time
                          before you had problems.

Mike
                          • 10. Re: Error 1714
                            Hi there
                            I too am having problems with my adobe Reader and keep getting an 'Error 1714 message.
                            I have just tried removing the Adobe program but keep getting the message..
                            'This patch package could not be opened. verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package.'
                            Please help someone as I really dont have a clue!
                            Not even sure if I come back here for a reply or leave my email, anyway here goes, edensascent@fsmail.net
                            Many thanks..Yip
                            • 11. Re: Error 1714
                              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              Yip.

Did you look at the link posted by Mike in post #4. One of those suggestions should fix it up for most people.

Also, unless you really enjoy spam, I wouldn't post your email address in forums such as these. They get harvested all the time.