4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2008 5:50 AM by MichaelKazlow

PDF /FDF  and reader troubles

Hello all,

I am a developer who has been handed an existing project which takes database data and builds a FDF file which is displayed to users in a PDF file.

This web app has worked for a good while. Now one of the users is experiencing problems when he brings up the page it is blank you see the pdf form but the fdf data was not included. In the process of troubleshooting I've installed several versions of Reader to test with since nothing in the app has changed I'm assuming something in the Reader has changed that is not working with my FDF like it once was. Now that you read all the noise let me ask you about the actual problem. In acrobat reader 9 on one computer it works fine. On my computer with same reader and browser It wont work at all(I dont get anything). Now there is one slight difference when I installed reader 9 I no longer get PDF's to open in the Browser window. I've read the instructions and have adobe set to open in a web browser. Firefox on the other hand has no handler for PDF file type though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both the browser and reader and still get no file type listed in firefox.

If you need anymore info let me know
      and thanks in advance

Nathan
        • 1. Re: PDF /FDF  and reader troubles
          HI,

I have installed the Adobe Reader 8.0 to my system. Whenever I am trying to open any pdf via web it is showing an error as 'Could not launch the Acrobat reader'. When I tried to uninstall. I am not able to uninstall too. Getting error that AcroRead.msi not found.

Please suggest what to do ?

Thanks,
          Zahid Khan
          • 2. Re: PDF /FDF  and reader troubles
            We use a similar system, even using a .pdf form to capture data. The last reliable version of Reader for this process was v 7.1

It has been hit-or-miss with v8.

We are having our users uninstall all versions of Reader, then installing v7.1 until we can drop the use of .pdf forms

Regards,

dkorth
            • 3. Re: PDF /FDF  and reader troubles
              Trying to get audio files from the Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, (www.ca9.uscourts.gov) down loaded to my desk top. Tried first file number. Down load occurred but Adobe Reader 7.07 immediately notified me on my desk top, quote: "Adobe Reader could not open '(number.wma)' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and it wasn't correctly decoded)." No email was involved. I have a MAC OS X, iMac G5 10.3.9. Others with iMac's have been sucessful. Can anyone help me out?
              • 4. PDF /FDF and reader troubles
                MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                Carlos,

Reader only opens pdf files. You need something else to hear wma files.
                Windows comes with its own media player, Windows Media Player should do
                the trick. On the Mac, I think Itunes and/or Quicktime will play Windows
                Media files. In the future please start your own thread rather than
                posting on another's thread when your problem is unrelated to the topic
                being discussed.

Thanks...Mike