0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2008 10:53 PM by (Xen_Egalo)

PDFs print out darker in Windows Reader 9.0 than Mac Reader 9.0, also Win Reader 9.0 darker than 8.x

Hi,

Using Adobe Reader 8.1.2 for Mac OS X and 8.* for Windows, my PDFs printed out identically for both platforms.

However, after I upgraded Windows Adobe Reader from 8 to 9.0.0, it prints out the PDFs significantly darker than before, whereas when I upgraded the OS X Adobe Reader from 8.1.2 to 9.0.0, the print outs did not get any darker.

Now they are both on v9.0.0, Windows printouts are significantly darker than the OS X printouts, using the same PDF file, printer, etc.

Any idea what's going on here? Is there some of weird gamma correction-type thing going on - although I thought that only affected monitor displays, not print outs? Or should I report it as a bug?

The PDF I am testing is here:
      http://egalo.com/guitar-fretboard-visualisation-sheet.pdf

I also tried printing it out from other PDF viewers - Preview.app on OS X and Foxit Reader on Windows - and they both print out normally i.e. the same as Adobe Reader 8.* for all platforms, and 9.0 for OS X - definitely not as dark as Adobe Reader 9.0.0 for Windows.

I'm running OS X 10.5.4 and Windows XP Professional as a VM using Parallels.

Needless to say, I want to be able to generate PDFs that have the same darkness regardless which PDF viewer or OS platform is being used to print it out.

Thanks, Xen

[Edited to improve clarity]